• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help determining the need for a Copyright, Patent, or Non-Disclosure Agreement??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nate_032

(Missouri)
Hello,
I have an idea for a new service provided via website/mobile app. I have put together a business plan and a prototype. I'm at the point where I need to talk to potential investors and a Computer Programming company. Like most, I am afraid of telling too many people. I haven't found this service available anywhere else, so I don't want someone to steal the idea. Is there something I can do to ease the paranoia? I'm not sure if I should/could Copyright the business idea or website/App name, or do a provisional patent, or have a NDA ready for anyone I talk to?? I'm new to this, so could really use some expertise on the appropriate channels to go through to ensure the security of my idea? Also, on the NDAs, is there a generic template you can print off and have the developers sign, or do I have to have a lawyer specifically type one up for me to provide investors/Programmers? Once again, any direction/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nate

quincy

(Missouri)
Hello,
I have an idea for a new service provided via website/mobile app. I have put together a business plan and a prototype. I'm at the point where I need to talk to potential investors and a Computer Programming company. Like most, I am afraid of telling too many people. I haven't found this service available anywhere else, so I don't want someone to steal the idea. Is there something I can do to ease the paranoia? I'm not sure if I should/could Copyright the business idea or website/App name, or do a provisional patent, or have a NDA ready for anyone I talk to?? I'm new to this, so could really use some expertise on the appropriate channels to go through to ensure the security of my idea? Also, on the NDAs, is there a generic template you can print off and have the developers sign, or do I have to have a lawyer specifically type one up for me to provide investors/Programmers? Once again, any direction/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nate
You are smart to be concerned about disclosing your idea to others without the protection of a non-disclosure agreement in place.

If you have a business plan and a prototype and you need help developing these, having non-disclosure agreements signed prior to discussing your plan is advised. Non-disclosure agreements can be and should be tailored to your specific needs. I would not, in other words, rely solely on any templates you find online (although they are available in many places for download). It would behoove you to seek out legal assistance in fashioning an agreement.

Depending on the specifics of your mobile app and the services you offer, you may need to look at copyright laws, trademark laws and patent laws all. I recommend you sit down with an IP lawyer in your area for advice and direction. The attorney can tell you whether you should file a provisional patent application now, to protect what might be patentable, or whether your work needs additional copyright protection. Completed work, if original and creative, is automatically copyright-protected but registration of the copyright provides additional important benefits. Trademark law will cover the name/logo/slogan chosen by you to identify the product and services you offer.

We cannot provide attorney recommendations on this site, although you can use the "Find a Lawyer" link located somewhere on this site to, perhaps, narrow your search. Good luck.

Nate_032

I really appreciate the help! It can get confusing determining when a copyright and/or a patent are the way to go. Also, I want to make sure I don't "put the cart before the horse", as I move along this long arduous journey!

Thanks again

quincy

I really appreciate the help! It can get confusing determining when a copyright and/or a patent are the way to go. Also, I want to make sure I don't "put the cart before the horse", as I move along this long arduous journey!

Thanks again
You're welcome, Nate. Thank you for the thanks.

I wish you good luck with your website/mobile app.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">