• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help! I'm signing a employment contract. concerned about inventions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newjobguy

I'm about to sign an employment contract and I'm concerned with the with the verbiage here. I like to work on my side projects so i'm afraid there is a possibility the company want to claim it even if its not related( if it gets popular)
if any someone can help, does section 14, 15 mean they'll do have the right to claim anything i make during the term of employment? How can it be revised so I am not so restricted?
THanks!

-14. You acknowledge and agree that any Invention you conceive or make during employment, whether or not during regular working hours and whether or not using resources and/or tools belonging to the Company and its affiliates and shall be for the benefit of the Company and shall immediately become the exclusive property of the Company.

-15. You hereby agree to sell, assign, and transfer, exclusively to the Company, any and all of your right, title, and interest in and to any Invention together with the goodwill related to all trade-marks, together with all inventions, patents, applications, reissues, continuations, continuations in part, or divisional applications for any patent, and any other intellectual property in any Invention, in Canada and throughout the world, that you have solely or jointly authored, created, conceived, developed, or reduced to practice. You
agree not to apply for any intellectual property rights for any Invention and agree not to oppose, contest, or seek to invalidate any registration of such rights by the Company.

-16. Upon the request of the Company or its affiliates, you hereby agree to sign all necessary documents and do all acts necessary to assign and transfer all Inventions and all rights thereto, under the laws of copyright, patent, trade-mark, industrial design, or otherwise, to the Company, so that the Company can make application through its attorneys for letters patent, copyright, industrial design, or trade-mark registration in Canada, and any and all countries foreign thereto.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry, this forum is for US law questions only. You would need to consult with a Canadian attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">