• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LaurenCC18

Florida

I told my landlord weeks in advance of my wanting/needing to break the lease. I told him I would stay until I found a new tenant for him. Long story short, I found him a tenant within a week. Since I broke the lease, I forfeited my deposit (which was written in the lease) but he is trying to charge me "clerical fees" which he says is for him having to create a new lease and sit down with the new tenant (which is not written in the lease). He told me by law I have to pay. Is this true? Also, since he is keeping my security deposit, wouldn't that cover any fees or residual apartment related costs? I mean that money isn't just for him to have right? He'd have to use that money to pay off whatever debt he thinks I owe?

Thank you!

Last edited:

LdiJ

Florida

I told my landlord weeks in advance of my wanting/needing to break the lease. I told him I would stay until I found a new tenant for him. Long story short, I found him a tenant within a week. Since I broke the lease, I forfeited my deposit (which was written in the lease) but he is trying to charge me "clerical fees" which he says is for him having to create a new lease and sit down with the new tenant (which is not written in the lease). He told me by law I have to pay. Is this true? Also, since he is keeping my security deposit, wouldn't that cover any fees or residual apartment related costs? I mean that money isn't just for him to have right? He'd have to use that money to pay off whatever debt he thinks I owe?

Thank you!
No, that is not "the law". Its also questionable that he is keeping your security deposit since he doesn't need to do anything to keep the rent coming other than having the new tenant sign a lease. However, you ARE breaking your lease and therefore he does have the right to not be out of pocket for any expenses incurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">