• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Form 8516

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VSPeck1

Indiana What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am using Turbo Tax to prepare my grandson's taxes and it asks about a form 8516. His mother is dead and his grandfather and I claim him as a dependent. The turbo tax application asked for the parent's name and ssn. Is that us since we are claiming him as a dependent?

FlyingRon

There are 5 tests to see if he is subject to the kiddie tax. I was fishing to see if they applied. Looks like they do. The link should work...I just clicked it.

VSPeck1

There are 5 tests to see if he is subject to the kiddie tax. I was fishing to see if they applied. Looks like they do. The link should work...I just clicked it.
This publication speaks to unearned income and he doesn't have unearned income unless my support of him counts as unearned income or is it possible that the financial aid/grants that he received to go to school exceeded the tuition that was reported on his 1098T? It looks like the 1098T may not have include both the spring and fall semesters.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

This publication speaks to unearned income and he doesn't have unearned income unless my support of him counts as unearned income or is it possible that the financial aid/grants that he received to go to school exceeded the tuition that was reported on his 1098T? It looks like the 1098T may not have include both the spring and fall semesters.
Well, then there isn't a problem The whole point of the Kiddie Tax rule was to keep people from putting securities that generate unearned income (bond interest or stock dividends) into their child's name so that it gets taxed at the child's lower rate (kids don't tend to make all that much). If there is no such income from these sources, then even if you filled out the form, you'd find it makes no difference. However, if you don't have any unearned income to speak of, you don't even have to complete the form.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">