• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the legal term for....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TruthFire

Hi everyone, I have a vocabulary question for you! What is the official term for aspects that everyone agrees on, and the things that everyone doesn't agree on.

Assume the following scenario: If one witness says that a yellow Honda Accord was used as a getaway, and the other witness says that a red Honda Accord was used as the getaway.

Both witnesses agree that a Honda Accord was the getaway vehicle, but they disagree on the color. What is the legal term for the things that they agree on? What is the legal term for things that they don't agree on?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Just Blue

Hi everyone, I have a vocabulary question for you! What is the official term for aspects that everyone agrees on, and the things that everyone doesn't agree on.

Assume the following scenario: If one witness says that a yellow Honda Accord was used as a getaway, and the other witness says that a red Honda Accord was used as the getaway.

Both witnesses agree that a Honda Accord was the getaway vehicle, but they disagree on the color. What is the legal term for the things that they agree on? What is the legal term for things that they don't agree on?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Ask your teacher. ;)

We don't do homework here..:)

CavemanLawyer

Legal terms differ by state so I'm not sure there is an actual answer to your question. I've always referred to things like this as consistencies and inconsistencies.

quincy

Legal terms differ by state so I'm not sure there is an actual answer to your question. I've always referred to things like this as consistencies and inconsistencies.
Ah, but Texas is a world unto itself. :)

To partially address Blue's concern, should TruthFire not reside in Michigan or most states other than Texas: Stipulation in Italian is stipulazione, in Dutch it is bepaling, in French it is stipuler, in Spanish it is estipular . . . . . . . perhaps TruthFire can narrow his residence down a bit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Interestingly enough, in english-speaking countries, one could say that the witness statements agree on x and the witness statements disagree on y. No need to use fancy words just for the sake of using fancy words.

quincy

Interestingly enough, in english-speaking countries, one could say that the witness statements agree on x and the witness statements disagree on y. No need to use fancy words just for the sake of using fancy words.
Life would certainly be a lot simpler if lawyers spoke in English. :)

TruthFire

Ah, but Texas is a world unto itself. :)

To partially address Blue's concern, should TruthFire not reside in Michigan or most states other than Texas: Stipulation in Italian is stipulazione, in Dutch it is bepaling, in French it is stipuler, in Spanish it is estipular . . . . . . . perhaps TruthFire can narrow his residence down a bit.
Sorry about that guys! I live in California, [United States].

quincy

Sorry about that guys! I live in California, [United States].
Thanks for letting us know your state name, TruthFire.

I would not have thought witnesses could confuse a red Honda with a yellow Honda but, after that gold/white and blue/black dress debate, I don't doubt it any more. :)

Just Blue

Thanks for letting us know your state name, TruthFire.

I would not have thought witnesses could confuse a red Honda with a yellow Honda but, after that gold/white and blue/black dress debate, I don't doubt it any more. :)
Dress was white and gold.
;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">