• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor boys digging up dead pets in back yard. Mother furious for us talking to the

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CraftyGrandma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

We have lived here 16 years in the same cul-de-sac. There is not a HOA. My husband is a trucker and gone all week long. Our property is 1.62 acres and sort of like a rectangle. Over the years our family has had several dogs and cats which have died and we buried them in the back of the property. Recently, well in the past 3 years some neighbors moved behind us, not part of the cul-de-sac with 3 boys. Two are under 10. They seem to think the whole area is their play ground. And I don't care if they want to walk through our property but they seem to not understand there are some limits. We have pompus grass in the front of the house which they tried to pull up and make a mess. I asked them to please stop. Then they dared me by continuing. So I told them I would call the police. They eventually stopped. Then they would ride their bikes in and out of the ditch in front of our property. Once or twice is ok. But it was continual until it was leaving marks. It wasn't just our property but every one in the circle. Again I had to ask them to stop damaging the yard. It took a while but they eventually stopped.

Then this past year they received a four wheeler and a dirt bike. Now behind our property there is another which has been abandoned and grown up weeds and kudzu. The boys have decided to ride their four wheeler and dirt bike around the property. Which is fine but they would go up into our yard too. If anyone knows about dirt bikes eventually after a while they are going to leave a trail and kill the grass. After several times my husband went out to talk to the boy on a dirt bike and tried to explain to him that what he was doing was not right. He could have asked for permission to be on our property. He just went home yelling that it wasn't our property. Our property lines are marked at the corners with wooden posts. We tried to explain that to him too.

So then the other day I happened to look up and out the back door saw three boys walking out of the over grown weeds toward our property. I just watched them to see what they were up to. They started poking and jumping and digging around where the pets were buried. (They knew it was there when we had buried our recent pet of 14 years and they took down the cross one of my children had put there.We would put it up and they would take it down repeatedly.) They were obviously looking for the buried pets. I called my 22 year old son out of his room to witness what was going on. He finally went out and yelled to the back of the property for them to stop. They threw down their "tools" (a broken long handle pruner) and ran home. The next day after my son was off work he went back to see if the boys had returned, and picked up the 'tools' and brought them up to the house. Within 2 minutes I saw the mother with two of the boys walk up to our house and had the boys get the tools and proceeded to go back to their house. I called out to her and asked her if I could help her. She proceeded to yell at me for "yelling" at the kids. Remember our property is a rectangle and it's about 200 feet from the house to where the boys had been. I tried to calmly explain to her the situation which she just kept walking away (while on her cell phone) She went next door and talked to another neighbor. THey started walking toward the back of his property and I could tell he was explaining to her the property lines. I decided to go back and maybe clear up the air so to speak and talk to her. So I went back and kindly asked if I could explain which she unkindly said sure. But every time I would talk she would interrupt me and yelled at me about yelling at her kids -_-. It was horrible. Both of the neighbors were yelling at me and calling our family the "bitch" of the neighborhood. Which is not true as we get along with most of the neighbors. I finally left and tried to forget. Later the next day my son observed the lady with someone else in front of our yard talking and pointing to our property. NO idea what she's up to but I'm not happy about it. We are planning to install some security cameras in the back. But can she do anything legally to us? I don't think so but I don't know for sure. I have started a detailed log of what has happened the past week.

What else can I do? Talking to them is not a possibility. My husband tried that and the neighbor tried to record the conversation on his phone and started yelling at my husband so he just walked back.

Help please.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

We have lived here 16 years in the same cul-de-sac. There is not a HOA. My husband is a trucker and gone all week long. Our property is 1.62 acres and sort of like a rectangle. Over the years our family has had several dogs and cats which have died and we buried them in the back of the property. Recently, well in the past 3 years some neighbors moved behind us, not part of the cul-de-sac with 3 boys. Two are under 10. They seem to think the whole area is their play ground. And I don't care if they want to walk through our property but they seem to not understand there are some limits. We have pompus grass in the front of the house which they tried to pull up and make a mess. I asked them to please stop. Then they dared me by continuing. So I told them I would call the police. They eventually stopped. Then they would ride their bikes in and out of the ditch in front of our property. Once or twice is ok. But it was continual until it was leaving marks. It wasn't just our property but every one in the circle. Again I had to ask them to stop damaging the yard. It took a while but they eventually stopped.

Then this past year they received a four wheeler and a dirt bike. Now behind our property there is another which has been abandoned and grown up weeds and kudzu. The boys have decided to ride their four wheeler and dirt bike around the property. Which is fine but they would go up into our yard too. If anyone knows about dirt bikes eventually after a while they are going to leave a trail and kill the grass. After several times my husband went out to talk to the boy on a dirt bike and tried to explain to him that what he was doing was not right. He could have asked for permission to be on our property. He just went home yelling that it wasn't our property. Our property lines are marked at the corners with wooden posts. We tried to explain that to him too.

So then the other day I happened to look up and out the back door saw three boys walking out of the over grown weeds toward our property. I just watched them to see what they were up to. They started poking and jumping and digging around where the pets were buried. (They knew it was there when we had buried our recent pet of 14 years and they took down the cross one of my children had put there.We would put it up and they would take it down repeatedly.) They were obviously looking for the buried pets. I called my 22 year old son out of his room to witness what was going on. He finally went out and yelled to the back of the property for them to stop. They threw down their "tools" (a broken long handle pruner) and ran home. The next day after my son was off work he went back to see if the boys had returned, and picked up the 'tools' and brought them up to the house. Within 2 minutes I saw the mother with two of the boys walk up to our house and had the boys get the tools and proceeded to go back to their house. I called out to her and asked her if I could help her. She proceeded to yell at me for "yelling" at the kids. Remember our property is a rectangle and it's about 200 feet from the house to where the boys had been. I tried to calmly explain to her the situation which she just kept walking away (while on her cell phone) She went next door and talked to another neighbor. THey started walking toward the back of his property and I could tell he was explaining to her the property lines. I decided to go back and maybe clear up the air so to speak and talk to her. So I went back and kindly asked if I could explain which she unkindly said sure. But every time I would talk she would interrupt me and yelled at me about yelling at her kids -_-. It was horrible. Both of the neighbors were yelling at me and calling our family the "bitch" of the neighborhood. Which is not true as we get along with most of the neighbors. I finally left and tried to forget. Later the next day my son observed the lady with someone else in front of our yard talking and pointing to our property. NO idea what she's up to but I'm not happy about it. We are planning to install some security cameras in the back. But can she do anything legally to us? I don't think so but I don't know for sure. I have started a detailed log of what has happened the past week.

What else can I do? Talking to them is not a possibility. My husband tried that and the neighbor tried to record the conversation on his phone and started yelling at my husband so he just walked back.

Help please.
Put up "No Trespassing" signs on the perimeter of the property, then call the local sheriff/police when somebody is on the property. :cool:

CraftyGrandma

So they didn't actually dig up any of your pets then?
Not yet. But I'm sure if we didn't stop them they would have found something. Not that it would have been pretty to find. They kept looking up to our house to see if we were watching while they were poking and digging.

Eekamouse

Not yet. But I'm sure if we didn't stop them they would have found something. Not that it would have been pretty to find. They kept looking up to our house to see if we were watching while they were poking and digging.
How old are these kids? Do any of your other neighbors have ongoing problems with this family?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I must have missed it... What did the police say when you called them?

CraftyGrandma

How old are these kids? Do any of your other neighbors have ongoing problems with this family?

The property they are living on is connected to our property and to the other neighbor which the mother has backing her up. We do not live in city limits. This is out in the county. Two of the boys are about 10 and the other one younger then that. There is another that seems to be in middle school. He's much older and taller.

We have encountered the boys in our cul-de-sac riding their bikes at times. They will not move out of the way right away. I have to approach them slowly and even stop before they will finally move. They have apparently told their mom and I didn't even stop but 'almost ran into them' When I stop it's usually about 10 feet away. This has happened about 2 times during the summer.

CraftyGrandma

I must have missed it... What did the police say when you called them?
We have not called the police,,, yet, but did inform the mother the last time we have a 'conversation' with her informing her that if they kept attempting damage then we would call the police. We told her she needed to keep a better eye on them. We do not mind if they walk across our property on their way to wherever. But riding dirt bikes and digging up the pets is not acceptable. I am keeping a log of what had happened so far. My son in law is a former police officer and has advised me to do this and to get a security camera installed which is on order now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The property they are living on is connected to our property and to the other neighbor which the mother has backing her up. We do not live in city limits. This is out in the county. Two of the boys are about 10 and the other one younger then that. There is another that seems to be in middle school. He's much older and taller.

We have encountered the boys in our cul-de-sac riding their bikes at times. They will not move out of the way right away. I have to approach them slowly and even stop before they will finally move. They have apparently told their mom and I didn't even stop but 'almost ran into them' When I stop it's usually about 10 feet away. This has happened about 2 times during the summer.
You mean that you FORCE a cyclist who is riding legally on the road to move out of the way by approaching so closely that they fear you will run them over?

I can see why the parent's aren't exactly happy with you.

CraftyGrandma

You mean that you FORCE a cyclist who is riding legally on the road to move out of the way by approaching so closely that they fear you will run them over?

I can see why the parent's aren't exactly happy with you.
Nope.. I did not FORCE them off the road.. they were standing still not riding,, not moving on their bikes.. In the middle of the road. This is a small one lane road.. two cars can pass but no lines. But I had no way to get around them while they were just standing there. And I did not get that close to them. I did stop about 10 feet away when they finally walked their bikes over to the side.

Last edited:

quincy

The major problem seems to be that your neighbors have young children and you no longer do.

It is sometimes hard to remember (and sometimes better to forget) all of things you or your children did at age 10 that no doubt annoyed the neighbors as much as these boys are annoying you.

That said, TheGeekess' suggestion to put up "No Trespassing" signs is a good one, and the signs can work to inform the adults that you want others to stay off your property. The signs will probably not deter determined children who want to explore and dig up bones and other treasures, though. A call to the parents and a call to the police will more than likely be necessary at some point.

The good news is that these 10 year olds seem to be playing outside instead of sitting inside playing video games, which is healthy, and these 10 year olds will eventually grow up (and into 16 year olds :eek:).

CraftyGrandma

The major problem seems to be that your neighbors have young children and you no longer do.

It is sometimes hard to remember (and sometimes better to forget) all of things you or your children did at age 10 that no doubt annoyed the neighbors as much as these boys are annoying you.

That said, TheGeekess' suggestion to put up "No Trespassing" signs is a good one, and the signs can work to inform the adults that you want others to stay off your property. The signs will probably not deter determined children who want to explore and dig up bones and other treasures, though. A call to the parents and a call to the police will more than likely be necessary at some point.

The good news is that these 10 year olds seem to be playing outside instead of sitting inside playing video games, which is healthy, and these 10 year olds will eventually grow up (and into 16 year olds :eek:).

HAHA.. Yes I do know that. ;) I actually still have two at home. One married, one engaged.. etc, etc lol. I was most of the time out with my kids when they were out side. I had never seen the mother out with them before now. I didn't (don't) mind when someone corrects my child/ren from whatever they are doing wrong. The boys I believe are making us the bad people which I understand, so they don't get in as much trouble. The mother never addressed the problem of them digging in the yard. I might be just paranoid, but I believe between the two of these neighbors something will be happening.

The older neighbor, (I guess I'll call Jo) is just mad because his cousin, whom he lives with, drove his semi truck (not trailer) "accidentally" through our yard. When I got home and saw the tracks to his truck I could see what happened. I went to the house to ask him about it. NOT in an angry way but to find out what was up. He lied to me twice in the same conversation. (remember my husband has been a truck driver for over 25 years) First he said he didn't know where the property lines where located.. :confused: Then he said he was too tired to notice where he was driving at. Which means he didn't need to be on the road. So Jo was upset that I had confronted his cousin.

I don't know. I will be installing the camera as soon as it comes in. Like I said before. I don't mind them walking through the property. Just don't damage it.

quincy

HAHA.. Yes I do know that. ;) I actually still have two at home. One married, one engaged.. etc, etc lol. I was most of the time out with my kids when they were out side. I had never seen the mother out with them before now. I didn't (don't) mind when someone corrects my child/ren from whatever they are doing wrong. The boys I believe are making us the bad people which I understand, so they don't get in as much trouble. The mother never addressed the problem of them digging in the yard. I might be just paranoid, but I believe between the two of these neighbors something will be happening.

The older neighbor, (I guess I'll call Jo) is just mad because his cousin, whom he lives with, drove his semi truck (not trailer) "accidentally" through our yard. When I got home and saw the tracks to his truck I could see what happened. I went to the house to ask him about it. NOT in an angry way but to find out what was up. He lied to me twice in the same conversation. (remember my husband has been a truck driver for over 25 years) First he said he didn't know where the property lines where located.. :confused: Then he said he was too tired to notice where he was driving at. Which means he didn't need to be on the road. So Jo was upset that I had confronted his cousin.

I don't know. I will be installing the camera as soon as it comes in. Like I said before. I don't mind them walking through the property. Just don't damage it.
Well, it sounds as if you now have a plan going forward that can help you attack the problem. I hope it works out for you.

Good luck, CraftyGrandma. :)

Ladyback1

Kids will be kids. Is that what you are saying??

I so disagree with that sentiment. I have 2 boys who were taught to respect others and their property. I know lots of kids who did not harass their neighbors.

Now, while I don't blame the children, I do believe that the parents have not taught these children respect. But I take umbrage with the notion/sentiment of "kids will be kids" as a way of excusing inappropriate behavior.

quincy

Kids will be kids. Is that what you are saying??

I so disagree with that sentiment. I have 2 boys who were taught to respect others and their property. I know lots of kids who did not harass their neighbors.

Now, while I don't blame the children, I do believe that the parents have not taught these children respect. But I take umbrage with the notion/sentiment of "kids will be kids" as a way of excusing inappropriate behavior.
I am sorry you took umbrage at my post, Ladyback1, but I do not see where in my post that I said I condone unruly or inappropriate behavior.

I did show recognition that kids will behave in unruly ways at times and that they have inappropriate behavior at times. I am sure even your boys have annoyed others. In fact, your boys are annoying me just by you telling me how well-behaved they are. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">