• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back-pay on rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tobychrist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My landlord denied my rent check for the month of December. Her reasoning was she wanted me out of the apartment by the end of the month. I did my due diligence and found that there was no grounds for eviction. On the first of March I got a letter stating that they wanted my full December rent with my full March rent together. I paid for the month of March as the check was already written and now they are asking about the December rent. Do I need to back-pay this rent that was originally denied on their end?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My landlord denied my rent check for the month of December. Her reasoning was she wanted me out of the apartment by the end of the month. I did my due diligence and found that there was no grounds for eviction. On the first of March I got a letter stating that they wanted my full December rent with my full March rent together. I paid for the month of March as the check was already written and now they are asking about the December rent. Do I need to back-pay this rent that was originally denied on their end?
Of course you need to pay your December rent. Heck - I'd boot you based on non-payment at this point.

Eekamouse

What happened to the December rent money? Did you spend it? That would be really stupid if you did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">