• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help please!!! Need an answer asap!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

complicated1991

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Kentucky

I need help with trying to get my father in law out of jail for his fathers funeral in 2 days!! how can we get him out? he can't cross state lines. his father had everything arranged to have everything done in a different state and didnt know my father in law was going to be in jail.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Kentucky

I need help with trying to get my father in law out of jail for his fathers funeral in 2 days!! how can we get him out? he can't cross state lines. his father had everything arranged to have everything done in a different state and didnt know my father in law was going to be in jail.
It's unfortunate that your father chose to break the law. It breaks a parent's heart when they do this (generally.)

Zigner

it was something that happened a long time ago and he is having to serve 30 days. I need to no how to get him out for the funeral.
You (and he) may need to accept the fact that he wont' be able to attend his father's funeral. Remember, HIS actions are what brought this about.

dave33

Kentucky

Contact the jail and inform them of the situation. It might be to late regardless of the policy. goodluck.

dave33

The jail cannot just let him out for a funeral without permission from the court.
That may be true in Kentucky. In my home state the court has no say in furloughs. It has to be approved by the warden of whatever security you are in. Furloughs for funerals for close relatives is common. But, the prison must be notified in a timely fashion.

TigerD

That may be true in Kentucky. In my home state the court has no say in furloughs. It has to be approved by the warden of whatever security you are in. Furloughs for funerals for close relatives is common. But, the prison must be notified in a timely fashion.
Prison is generally for longer terms of incarceration. I believe the OP said the guy was in jail. A 30 day sentence isn't usually served in prison.

The solution is to talk to the defense attorney and see if he will fill a motion for furlough.

TD

dave33

Prison is generally for longer terms of incarceration. I believe the OP said the guy was in jail. A 30 day sentence isn't usually served in prison.

The solution is to talk to the defense attorney and see if he will fill a motion for furlough.

TD
Im pretty sure that these motions get done by inmates fairly often. The law library should be available to the inmate, if the librarian is even remotely helpful he should be able to get this done.
From what I've seen the more frequently used things are actually made available. Habeus yourself into court, sentence reductions/modifications, furloughs etc...

Zigner

Im pretty sure that these motions get done by inmates fairly often. The law library should be available to the inmate, if the librarian is even remotely helpful he should be able to get this done.
From what I've seen the more frequently used things are actually made available. Habeus yourself into court, sentence reductions/modifications, furloughs etc...
While what you say is true, it's not going to happen by tomorrow.

TigerD

Once again - he isn't in prison. I've not seen a jail with a law library.

TD

dave33

Once again - he isn't in prison. I've not seen a jail with a law library.

TD
Really, how many jails have you served time in? Jail or prison... Anyplace a person is ordered to serve a jail or prison term.
I admit, Kentucky's jail situation is foreign to me.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Really, how many jails have you served time in? Jail or prison... Anyplace a person is ordered to serve a jail or prison term.
I admit, Kentucky's jail situation is foreign to me.

This is common everywhere that I know of. Jail is for short-term sentences, usually up to a year. Anything longer is served in prison - totally different types of facilities except for the cells.

single317dad

I've seen quite a few furlough and transport requests for funerals filed from county jail (granted, none in Kentucky), and nearly all of them were denied by the court. This one being out of state, I would estimate it has a low chance of success.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">