• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disabled wheelchair person being sued for debt bought by firm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bayfisher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? maryland

i did a case search on self and found that a case has been set to sue me in court for 1300 which i owed 4 yrs ago.it is a shock to find out and i wasnt notified. what is exempt for personal property for them to take?can i contact judge which i dont know name of, i get welfare and have a small tv bluray player and fishing rods and two 10 yr old computers.is it waste of time to call lawyers suing me or courts? whats the worse that can happen?in maryland is there anyone taht can represent me other than a lawyer like my VA SOCIAL WORKER> WHAT if i cant make it to court and judgement is made.will they walk in and immediately take what i own?is there anyone i can call?i have no job no car and am semi bed bound.will someone come here and assess value of what i own?1300 is judgement and dont know fees. the debt has been bought by them, someone aid me in the right direction specifically if you have been through this.i check emails much daily.reply at will

Proserpina

i did a case search on self and found that a case has been set to sue me in court for 1300 which i owed 4 yrs ago.it is a shock to find out and i wasnt notified. what is exempt for personal property for them to take?can i contact judge which i dont know name of, i get welfare and have a small tv bluray player and fishing rods and two 10 yr old computers.is it waste of time to call lawyers suing me or courts? whats the worse that can happen?in maryland is there anyone taht can represent me other than a lawyer like my VA SOCIAL WORKER> WHAT if i cant make it to court and judgement is made.will they walk in and immediately take what i own?is there anyone i can call?i have no job no car and am semi bed bound.will someone come here and assess value of what i own?1300 is judgement and dont know fees. the debt has been bought by them, someone aid me in the right direction specifically if you have been through this.i check emails much daily.reply at will

Okay take a deep breath and please don't panic!

This is what Maryland lists as exemptions. Take a read, because from where I'm sitting you're "uncollectable". They're not going to take your TV and those personal items.

http://www.peoples-law.org/income-and-assets-protected-creditors

I'll share an excerpt from that page just to put your mind at rest a little.

Protected (exempt) Property

The law allows you to keep the following safe from creditors or liquidation bankruptcy (Chapter 7)

Up to $6000 in cash or property (You must notify the court within 30 days from the date of attachment or levy by a sheriff).
Up to $5000 worth of items necessary for the practice of any trade or profession (for example, tools, instruments, books, clothing/uniforms).
Up to $1000 in household furnishings, goods, clothing, appliances, books, pets and other personal items.
Money payable to you as the result of court judgments, insurance benefits, and compensation because of sickness, accident, injury or death.
Professionally prescribed health aids.
Your share in a qualified retirement

Also protected is your income if it's solely from disability.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

i did a case search on self and found that a case has been set to sue me in court for 1300 which i owed 4 yrs ago.
You got some good advice from Proserpina. I would add the following:

I don't know what kind of case search you did, but you should obtain a copy of each document filed in the court docket. That way you will know better who the plaintiff is, who the plaintiff's attorney is, what the case is all about, how they claim that you were served, etcetera. You will also then have some of the documents that will help an attorney evaluate your case.

Then, you should go to the VA and see if they can provide you with some legal support. Despite the fact that you may be "judgment proof" (should they obtain a judgment against you), it might be better to avoid the judgment altogether if that is at all possible.

bayfisher

You got some good advice from Proserpina. I would add the following:

I don't know what kind of case search you did, but you should obtain a copy of each document filed in the court docket. That way you will know better who the plaintiff is, who the plaintiff's attorney is, what the case is all about, how they claim that you were served, etcetera. You will also then have some of the documents that will help an attorney evaluate your case.

Then, you should go to the VA and see if they can provide you with some legal support. Despite the fact that you may be "judgment proof" (should they obtain a judgment against you), it might be better to avoid the judgment altogether if th

Last edited by a moderator:

bayfisher

If they win what will happen?

Will they immediately come and take possessions or come and assess property and take what they want? and as it was replied here theres a limit on what they can take. my tv is most expensive about 200,oo and a year old 32 inch hdtv which new was 269.i dont think they know i have no assets or income. mon or tues im gonna try to file chap 7 somehow to stop it all. and is 2 months long enough to get chap 7 started to stop the proceedings? all have been a great help to me here even though i cant pay you for advice.i went through this with capital one and spend 6 months in court and then did a chap7 about 22 yrs ago. can i still file chap7 second time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Proserpina

Okay what I've done is reported your other post because it contains too much of your personal info. Sorry - that's just to protect your identity :)

It seemed like a regular credit-type lawsuit. I strongly agree with Mark Maroon's post, and that you should see what help the VA might be able to give you.

Please though, don't spend your time being scared. Again, they're not going to come to your house and take away your goods.

:)

And thank you for your service!

bayfisher

Okay what I've done is reported your other post because it contains too much of your personal info. Sorry - that's just to protect your identity :)

It seemed like a regular credit-type lawsuit. I strongly agree with Mark Maroon's post, and that you should see what help the VA might be able to give you.

Please though, don't spend your time being scared. Again, they're not going to come to your house and take away your goods.

:)

And thank you for your service!
IF I DO NOTHING WHATS THE WORSE CAN HAPPEN?its not like me to do so.so i was reported?does it mean i cant post details?i was being honest. btw the address on search was not correct. if i dont get summons what do i do?

bayfisher

Va rep said ignore it

I was advised to ignore the issue because i have nothing of value and it would cost more than my possessions to go to court. even if a levy i have old items total 400.00

bayfisher

Wont beleive this

I was advised to ignore the issue because i have nothing of value and it would cost more than my possessions to go to court. even if a levy i have old items total 400.00
NOW IM GETTING MAIL FROM LAWYERS since its public record, im getting mail from firms that want 3000 to rep me. bit insane. the feeding frenzy is on and im the bait.:confused:
dont people have other things to do?

bayfisher

after writ do they

NOW IM GETTING MAIL FROM LAWYERS since its public record, im getting mail from firms that want 3000 to rep me. bit insane. the feeding frenzy is on and im the bait.:confused:
dont people have other things to do?
do they send sheiff or send forms for possessions inventory or worse case what can they do without my permission? can they walk in at will and take? i cant fight this anymore.loss of sleep a bit manic you can tell. but springs on the way. does contract MEAN CREDIT CARD? IN DOCUMENT I SAW ONLINE?

Proserpina

do they send sheiff or send forms for possessions inventory or worse case what can they do without my permission? can they walk in at will and take? i cant fight this anymore.loss of sleep a bit manic you can tell. but springs on the way. does contract MEAN CREDIT CARD? IN DOCUMENT I SAW ONLINE?

No, that's not what happens.

I'm going to quote from a document provided by the court. This is what the creditors have to do after they get the judgment, okay? You're the defendant, and my comments come after each quoted part:

Once 30 days have passed since your judgment was entered, you can submit 15 written questions
to the defendant about his or her finances and property. The questions are known as Interrogatories
in Aid of Execution, and the defendant is required to answer these questions under oath.

So a month after they get the judgment, you'll get something asking you for the answers to up to 15 questions. These questions will ask about your finances, bank accounts and property.

Interrogatories can be served on the defendant through first-class mail. Once you have served the
defendant with the questions, you must provide written notice to the court that you have done so.
There is no form for this process; a letter that includes your case number and your name and address
as well as that of the defendant’s will meet this requirement.

The purpose of these questions is to help you find assets that the defendant owns that can be used
to satisfy your judgment. Your questions should cover the defendant’s bank accounts, employment,
personal property, and real estate. Unless the court orders otherwise, you may serve only one set
of no more than 15 interrogatories to be answered by the same party, so think carefully before you
submit questions.
This part contains instructions from the court, to the plaintiff (the folk who are suing you).

The defendant has 15 days to answer.

If you do not receive an answer and more than 15 days
have elapsed since you submitted the questions, you can file a Motion Compelling Answers to
Interrogatories in Aid of Execution (form DC/CV 30). The motion asks the judge to order the defendant
to answer your questions, and the defendant is given time to respond to the motion.

After the defendant is served with the order, he or she has another 15 days to answer your interrogatories
They will ask you again, and again, you have 15 days to respond.

So basically, nothing is going to happen for at least 30 days after they get the judgment. You'll answer the questions in the papers they send, and send them back.

In your situation that will usually be the end of the matter completely.

The reason I reported your post was because it contained your real name and information - you don't need anyone here knowing that information. We keep it all nice and anonymous :)

bayfisher

Bottom line about judgement froof

After all said and done and i say what i have no cash no accounts no values, and most imp. A small 32 inch tv and a cheap bluray player. Say thats what i claim besides household items, will they demand surrender of teh totally about 250 on market value for totals?

Proserpina

After all said and done and i say what i have no cash no accounts no values, and most imp. A small 32 inch tv and a cheap bluray player. Say thats what i claim besides household items, will they demand surrender of teh totally about 250 on market value for totals?

Nope.

You don't have anything over the amounts listed.

bayfisher

Let the gavel hit the gravel

IM READY to letem do what they want.did i say im getting solicited via snail mail for lawyer referals to rep me? since where i am its public information...lol.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">