• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my limits on using federal images?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KaeT89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I want to sell merchandise such as t-shirts and posters online to raise money and awareness for certain causes I support, as well as earn a little extra income for myself. One of the ideas I had was to use an image of a foreign license plate. I used the a picture I found online to get a similar color scheme and layout and created an image using Adobe Illustrator. I also, in the future, want to make a design based off the image of the same foreign country's flag.

My question is am I allowed to use these images on a product I wish to sell? What can I do with government images, and what are my limitations?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I want to sell merchandise such as t-shirts and posters online to raise money and awareness for certain causes I support, as well as earn a little extra income for myself. One of the ideas I had was to use an image of a foreign license plate. I used the a picture I found online to get a similar color scheme and layout and created an image using Adobe Illustrator. I also, in the future, want to make a design based off the image of the same foreign country's flag.

My question is am I allowed to use these images on a product I wish to sell? What can I do with government images, and what are my limitations?
There can be restrictions on reproducing images of foreign flags and currency. I am not sure about foreign license plates. You will want to check the foreign country's government website.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">