• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident in parking lot disputed by the other party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

This is in calofornia. Wife had the car hit by a Hispanic guy pulling his car out of his parking spot. He said sorry he didn't see it. the low life then called his own insurance company right away and said he was hit by my wife instead, probably to preemptively prevent us from filing a claim against him.

I called my own insurance company and was told it's not easy in a parking lot situation when the other patry disputes.

Should we still file a claim against him or just forget this? Just some scratches on the bumper.. seems like he pulled a fast one on us.

CdwJava

Were both vehicles in motion? Or, was your wife's vehicle unoccupied and parked when the other driver struck her vehicle?

Were both vehicles in motion? Or, was your wife's vehicle unoccupied and parked when the other driver struck her vehicle?
She was stopped between two rows of parked cars, while the other driver backed out of his parking spot to the middle of the road and hit her car. She was stationary when hit

CdwJava

She was stopped between two rows of parked cars, while the other driver backed out of his parking spot to the middle of the road and hit her car. She was stationary when hit
This is probably the rub ... she says she was stopped and he backed into her, and he probably says that she drove into him as he pulled out. Many of these private property things tend to be a wash with each company accepting half the responsibility.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is in calofornia. Wife had the car hit by a Hispanic guy pulling his car out of his parking spot. He said sorry he didn't see it. the low life then called his own insurance company right away and said he was hit by my wife instead, probably to preemptively prevent us from filing a claim against him.

I called my own insurance company and was told it's not easy in a parking lot situation when the other patry disputes.

Should we still file a claim against him or just forget this? Just some scratches on the bumper.. seems like he pulled a fast one on us.
So what race is your wife? I note you state she was hit by a HISPANIC guy who is a "low life" -- so what is your wife's race? Or it doesn't matter because you are a racist jerk?

davew128

So what race is your wife? I note you state she was hit by a HISPANIC guy who is a "low life" -- so what is your wife's race? Or it doesn't matter because you are a racist jerk?
The fact that the guy lied and is trying to shirk responsibility for the accident wouldn't have anything to do OP with calling him a lowlife, right?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The fact that the guy lied and is trying to shirk responsibility for the accident wouldn't have anything to do OP with calling him a lowlife, right?
OP wasn't there. And he brought up the guy's race as though that matters. So yeah, he gets called on it. There was no need for that.

Yes I call him a lowlife because he knows it's his fault, rather that accept responsibility, he call his own insurance company instead and tell them he is not at fault before we even filed a claim. . If it was our fault, he would have called our insurance company and make a claim...why didn't he do that? He knew it was his fault! He is certainly a smart guy, I didn't even know there is such a play in the book!

I'm looking for suggestions, so let's not get this thread hijacked, I apologize I mentioned his race. I read my original posting it does appear offensive, sorry I was really upset what he did when I posted it.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes I call him a lowlife because he knows it's his fault, rather that accept responsibility, he call his own insurance company instead and tell them he is not at fault before we even filed a claim. . If it was our fault, he would have called our insurance company and make a claim...why didn't he do that? He knew it was his fault! He is certainly a smart guy, I didn't even know there is such a play in the book!

I'm looking for suggestions, so let's not get this thread hijacked, I apologize I mentioned his race. I read my original posting it does appear offensive, sorry I was really upset what he did when I posted it.
Wrong. He could call his insurance company if YOUR WIFE is at fault. He would then let his insurance company handle it.

CdwJava

To be fair, there is a lot of weird info out there on who to call in a collision. I have seen people contact their own insurer, the other guy's insurer, or simply waiting for one or the other to contact them. I advise people to contact their own insurance no matter who appears to be at fault and let them represent you. Once should not read a determination of guilt into who was contacted by one party or the other.

davew128

OP wasn't there. And he brought up the guy's race as though that matters. So yeah, he gets called on it. There was no need for that.
If you say so. I can tell you there's a pretty good reason for that sentiment around here. Not the case with OP, but in this region its a real problem. I know more than one person who's been the victim of hit and runs from "those people". The whole, undocumented person driving without insurance thing. They don't bring their cars from Ireland...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">