• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

welfare fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tinker10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

If a guy lets his girlfriend live with him and knows that she is receiving welfare benefits, not reporting his income nor the address change, can the state charge him with fraud as well? In my opinion, he should be as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

If a guy lets his girlfriend live with him and knows that she is receiving welfare benefits, not reporting his income nor the address change, can the state charge him with fraud as well? In my opinion, he should be as well.
Yes, it is possible. Who are you in this situation?

commentator

She's the angry outsider. She can call the state fraud hotline and make a report. But that's as far as she can go. Her opinion of what "should" be done isn't worth a passing thought. And what they absolutely will not do is call her back and tell her what they did about the situation.

In some worlds, when people get mad at others the first move they are going to make is calling the department of social services and reporting them for food stamp or other assistance fraud. Happens all the time.

And they'll investigate. But there's really no way this person who's so concerned with the protection of her taxpayer money even knows exactly what kind of "welfare" the other woman is receiving. She also has no idea what is being submitted on her information checks or what address she is using.

As for the other person being prosecuted for helping the woman commit this welfare fraud, that's a pretty big stretch. Since the actual dollar amount of fraud being committed, the amount of resources being expended in this (even if she's a blatant fraud case) are going to be really small, there probably will be only sanctions against her, no prosecution of the case. In other words, it's not worth tying up the court system, not worth building all the jails necessary to hold every single person who does things like this. Not to mention prosecuting the person who's supposedly enabling the supposed fraud. How much court and investigator time would this take up?

Hey, bank and company CEO's defraud the taxpayers of billions of dollars all the time, how many of them get prosecuted?

Last edited:

dave33

I'm gonna go way, way, way out on a limb here and venture a guess and say the situation you describe is possibly not uncommon.

The state may charge said individual, we all know anything is possible.

Tinker10

She's the angry outsider. She can call the state fraud hotline and make a report. But that's as far as she can go. Her opinion of what "should" be done isn't worth a passing thought. And what they absolutely will not do is call her back and tell her what they did about the situation.

In some worlds, when people get mad at others the first move they are going to make is calling the department of social services and reporting them for food stamp or other assistance fraud. Happens all the time.

And they'll investigate. But there's really no way this person who's so concerned with the protection of her taxpayer money even knows exactly what kind of "welfare" the other woman is receiving. She also has no idea what is being submitted on her information checks or what address she is using.

As for the other person being prosecuted for helping the woman commit this welfare fraud, that's a pretty big stretch. Since the actual dollar amount of fraud being committed, the amount of resources being expended in this (even if she's a blatant fraud case) are going to be really small, there probably will be only sanctions against her, no prosecution of the case. In other words, it's not worth tying up the court system, not worth building all the jails necessary to hold every single person who does things like this. Not to mention prosecuting the person who's supposedly enabling the supposed fraud. How much court and investigator time would this take up?

Hey, bank and company CEO's defraud the taxpayers of billions of dollars all the time, how many of them get prosecuted?
A simple yes or no would have been fine. So don't waste the court and investigator's time, although they ask us to report fraud? I would not report it if I couldn't prove it. I was there when her mother delivered her mail to her. She has a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and says that she can't find a job. I found her a job, would have been full time with benefits. She went to the interview and said she was only looking for 25 hours a week. My brother told me if she works more than 25 hours, she will loose her food stamps. My brother makes real good money. There is no need for them to leech the system. So yes it makes me upset.

davew128

A simple yes or no would have been fine. So don't waste the court and investigator's time, although they ask us to report fraud? I would not report it if I couldn't prove it. I was there when her mother delivered her mail to her. She has a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and says that she can't find a job. I found her a job, would have been full time with benefits. She went to the interview and said she was only looking for 25 hours a week. My brother told me if she works more than 25 hours, she will loose her food stamps. My brother makes real good money. There is no need for them to leech the system. So yes it makes me upset.
The person who would be committing the fraud is the recipient of the benefits. I can't speak to GA, but in CA the maximum monthly benefit for a person with no kids is $165 for food stamps. The income level at which you become ineligible is $1,100/month. So 25 hours at or not much above minimum wage sounds about right. That said, I'm not sure what the beef is with the boyfriend who allows someone to live with him.

Tinker10

The person who would be committing the fraud is the recipient of the benefits. I can't speak to GA, but in CA the maximum monthly benefit for a person with no kids is $165 for food stamps. The income level at which you become ineligible is $1,100/month. So 25 hours at or not much above minimum wage sounds about right. That said, I'm not sure what the beef is with the boyfriend who allows someone to live with him.
I should have specified more. She has 2 kids and was pregnant with a 3rd when she moved in with him. She is still married to a guy who lives in Ohio. He says he wants to help her get on her feet, but she has already shown that she only wants someone to support her and her kids. So I told him he needs to report his income to dfcs or I think he could get in trouble as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I should have specified more. She has 2 kids and was pregnant with a 3rd when she moved in with him. She is still married to a guy who lives in Ohio. He says he wants to help her get on her feet, but she has already shown that she only wants someone to support her and her kids. So I told him he needs to report his income to dfcs or I think he could get in trouble as well.
So she's renting a place to live for her and her kids...

Eekamouse

What you think is completely irrelevant. You don't know all the facts so you should mind your own business instead of trying to cause problems for other people based on what you "think" is going on. Are you related to Pinocchio? Sure seems like you are.

Tinker10

What you think is completely irrelevant. You don't know all the facts so you should mind your own business instead of trying to cause problems for other people based on what you "think" is going on. Are you related to Pinocchio? Sure seems like you are.
How about you read the posts before you comment. I know what is going on. I have a legal question, is that not what this site is for? :confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How about you read the posts before you comment. I know what is going on. I have a legal question, is that not what this site is for? :confused:
How do you know what is going on? Who are you in this matter? I'm betting on this being an ex.

Eekamouse

I did read the posts and nowhere did you say how you can possibly know all the facts you are purporting to know so I am assuming that you are assuming because I sincerely doubt you are a friend of this woman that she would have divulged all the pertinent facts to. :rolleyes:

Tinker10

How do you know what is going on? Who are you in this matter? I'm betting on this being an ex.
I think some of you people just like to argue :p I am the guy's sister who they asked to help find her a job. I found her a full time job with decent pay and benefits. She went to the interview and told them she couldn't work more than 25 hours, so she turned it down. She didn't want to loose her food stamps, TANF, and medicaid.
Anyway, thank you for the one's that did answer my question.

commentator

"My brother makes real good money. There is no need for them to leech the system. So yes it makes me upset."

This is sister of the male homeowner. You know, the guy she wants to see prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law because he's letting this woman live with him. And she doesn't approve. And of course she knows all about the DHS case including what is being reported, who is being listed, and everything else! And she found the woman a job, and the woman didn't accept it, so of course she should be severely punished!

Medicaid food stamps and TANF assistance have very strict requirements in all states about work refusal of suitable work. This job refusal wasn't a whim, or she would've lost her benefits. Maybe you should find her a better one.

My point though is that even if you report your perceived fraud, don't expect to see them carted away in handcuffs. And above all, don't expect to be saluted for your conscientious meddling.

Last edited:

Tinker10

"My brother makes real good money. There is no need for them to leech the system. So yes it makes me upset."

This is sister of the male homeowner. You know, the guy she wants to see prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law because he's letting this woman live with him. And she doesn't approve. And of course she knows all about the DHS case. And she found the woman a job, and the woman told her she didn't want it. (fairly polite response, if you ask me!) My point though is that even if you report it, don't expect to see them carted away in handcuffs.
That's fine, as long as they stop robbing the system. There are people out there that really need it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">