• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I recieved a parking ticket at a university without signage that parking was paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Starnexus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

To whom it may concern,

I went go to go an open house at a public university here as a potential student and afterwards much to my chagrin I discovered I had a parking ticket for 43! I looked all around and I didn't see ONE sign posted that payment was required for parking. Aren't they required to post signs if parking is not free? I've already appealed but I just want to know my chances of being successful.

Thank you

Dave1952

What sort of signs were up? I'm thinking that you missed something. But first look at the ticket. Is it issued by the city or town or is it issued by the campus cops? If it's the CC call them and ask whether they have any authority to issue and collect from the public. Often their tickets are only valid on students and employees.

Starnexus

What sort of signs were up? I'm thinking that you missed something. But first look at the ticket. Is it issued by the city or town or is it issued by the campus cops? If it's the CC call them and ask whether they have any authority to issue and collect from the public. Often their tickets are only valid on students and employees.
It's from the campus parking enforcement. However its a public university and the back says that if its not paid they could block me from registering my car. I looked around and I did not see one sign stating that I had to pay for parking.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's from the campus parking enforcement. However its a public university and the back says that if its not paid they could block me from registering my car. I looked around and I did not see one sign stating that I had to pay for parking.
But there was a sign when you entered. Pay the ticket and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

CdwJava

I would venture to guess that there were either signs as you entered the college, or, when you entered the parking lots.

To appeal parking citations you contest it utilizing the instructions on the back of the citation. You can bring up your argument to the hearing officer or panel at that time. If you lose (and you probably will - unless they were dumb enough to never put up any signs), you can appeal it to the next local level. You will then have the opportunity to pay a small fee for a judicial review if you choose to appeal it further. You'd better triple check the parking areas to make sure there are no signs before you waste a judge's time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">