• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property addition - how do I handle this???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I recently purchased a small strip of property which joins mine from my neighbor for which I was given a warranty deed. I would like to simply add this strip to my parcel for real estate tax purposes. Do I:

1: take both surveys with their legal descriptions to the surveyor and have an new legal drawn up for my existing property to include the addition?

2: then take the new legal and have a correction deed prepared and filed for the original property?

I would simply file the new deed but I don't want two tax bills and the possibility of having to do a separate abstract in the future for the few feet covered in this deed.

Any information and suggestions are appreciated.

S

OK-LL

Joining lots or splitting lots is usually handled through your city/county zoning board or planning board. There are usually specific requirements for splitting off a piece of land from the main tract, and more requirements for joining it to another piece of land. Contact your local board to see what, if anything, is required of you.

FlyingRon

Joining lots or splitting lots is usually handled through your city/county zoning board or planning board. There are usually specific requirements for splitting off a piece of land from the main tract, and more requirements for joining it to another piece of land. Contact your local board to see what, if anything, is required of you.
Further, there may be additional issues that block building on a given lot even if you consolidate the adjacent parcels.
Many local governments are pretty helpful but it may take a land use attorney to actually make all this happen. I did my own zoning variance once, but it was kind of on the edge of what a lay person could accomplish.

I don't think it will be this involved. This is a small town, no zoning whatsoever. The reason for the purchase of the strip was my shop (built in 1974) was sitting six feet over on the neighbors property on an angle. We decided the easiest way to handle it would be for me to purchase approx. twelve feet the entire length of the property line. We had a survey done and a warranty deed prepared by the abstract company who also brought the neighbors abstract up to date to show the new property line and reflect the sale. I just need to know the procedure to add the 12 feet to mine so it is one piece rather than a separate 12x190 strip.

S

OK-LL

I'm in OK, too, and may be able to find a definitive answer for you if you don't mind disclosing, what city?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">