• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does bail refund expire?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ElevatorMan

I was arrested and released with no jail time with a 5000$ bail (I didn't pay bail to be released), I thought I had to pay this so I did, in cash directly to the court. I was sentenced to ARD program and after that I had my record expunged. I never received a bail refund and this happened about 11 years ago, is it too late to get my bail money back? I do have all or most of the documents associated with it, including the receipt, case number, dates ect.

Last edited:

quincy

I was arrested and released with no jail time with a 5000$ bail (I didn't pay bail to be released), I thought I had to pay this so I did, in cash directly to the court. I was sentenced to ARD program and after that I had my record expunged. I never received a bail refund and this happened about 11 years ago, is it too late to get my bail money back? I do have all or most of the documents associated with it, including the receipt, case number, dates ect.
Eleven years ago, huh?

We can tell you what probably happened to your $5000 if you provide your state name, ElevatorMan.

Last edited:

ElevatorMan

Eleven years ago, huh?

We can tell you what probably happened to your $5000 if you provide your state name, ElevatorMan.
Pennsylvania, by the way the charge was for simply being in possession of a large knife, someone that knew me knew I had it and called the cops just to be a dick. I was watching a movie in a movie theater when the cops came.

Last edited:

quincy

Here is a link to the Pennsylvania Code, Rule 535, Receipt for Deposit; Return or Retention of Deposit:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/234/chapter5/s535.html

If you were accepted into ARD, the acceptance into the program is considered a full and final disposition for the purposes of bail (Pa. Rules of Criminal Procedure 3B and 534). You could have gone to the court clerk's office with your receipt and obtained a refund 20 days after the date of the final disposition (less fees and possibly fines, restitution, costs). It is too bad that you didn't.

Property is presumed abandoned after 3 years. When funds go unclaimed, they go into a state treasury fund. The following is a good look at the unclaimed property law in Pennsylvania and its recent (2014/2015) changes. The article is from the Pa Bankers Association (written by Raymond P. Pepe, K & L Gates LLP): https://www.pabanker.com/media/2202/ha-296098-v6-unclaimed_property_alert.pdf

And, finally, here is a link to the Pennsylvania Treasury where you could attempt to claim your $5000 by entering the proper information into the unclaimed property form: http://www.patreasury.gov/

As a note: If I knew you were carrying a large knife into a movie theater, I probably would have reported you, too.

Last edited:

ElevatorMan

Alright thanks man, just a little piece of advice. I was kid that grew up in the country back then 18 or 19 its pretty normal for people like that. And everyone in the legal system treated me like scum like a rapist or murderer, the judge, the probation officers and what not. Not everyone that gets caught up in the legal system is a bad guy so you don't have to treat everyone like they are. If you think a kid having to pay 6000 for doing what he thought was normal is justice then you might be a bit lost.

Last edited:

quincy

Alright thanks man, just a little piece of advice. I was kid that grew up in the country back then 18 or 19 its pretty normal for people like that. And everyone in the legal system treated me like scum like a rapist or murderer, the judge, the probation officers and what not. Not everyone that gets caught up in the legal system is a bad guy so you don't have to treat everyone like they are. If you think a kid having to pay 6000 for doing what he thought was normal is justice then you might be a bit lost.
I am not sure why you are offering me the "little piece of advice" that you are, ElevatorMan.

Were you upset that I said I probably would have reported a knife-toting fellow in a movie theater? That was not a judgment of you. I don't know you.

At any rate, thank you for the thanks. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why did you wait eleven years before you started thinking about getting your bail refunded?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">