• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dumping 94 yrs old american citizen father to ancestral country by lying to him

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolblue

My father who was american citizen(94 years) was staying with my elder brother(also US citizen) since 3 decades. Last year my elder brother to get rid of old age troubles of his ageing father, brought himto Australia where i live saying him we are just going for a short trip to Australia. But left him in Australia and forcefully took his US passport with him to US so that he cannot come back.
After that my 94 years old father ,after getting the shock of his life from his elder son, who used his father for decades got ill and was on bed for 8 months.I took care of him.LAst month he died. My american brother made his father to baby sit his own children and help in household works. My father did that happily as it was his own family. All 3 decades my brother took all the monetary benifits of his father, but when it was time to pay back to father, he ditched him.
I (younger son) is now very disturbed and want my elder brother to teach him a lesson in US court for all the mental agony my father went through.

Please advice.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The story is full of misconceptions and stupidity.

First, US citizens who are found overseas without their passports are not exiled from the US. The embassies will bend over backwards to get them home.

Second, YOU can't use the courts to "teach" a lesson. If your father allowed someone to take advantage of him, that is his problem. He was free to give away his money. You have no claim over it.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Am I right in my understanding that, after 3 decades of care from the brother, our OP is upset that was forced to care for his father for 8 months? :eek:

coolblue

you all misunderstood the case.

Let me put shortly as below:
There is a 94 years old american citizen staying in US with his elder son. His elder son foresees that his father health is now worsening. So to avoid any trouble and taking care of his father, he took his father out of US to a relative . Ditched him and Dumps him there and took away the old man's passport with him,so that he cannot come back to US. Soon after that old man gets sick; is out of his mental health ;and complete bed ridden and finally passes away after 8 months.
Now are you guys saying that his american son has not done anything bad ??????

coolblue

The story is full of misconceptions and stupidity.

First, US citizens who are found overseas without their passports are not exiled from the US. The embassies will bend over backwards to get them home.

Second, YOU can't use the courts to "teach" a lesson. If your father allowed someone to take advantage of him, that is his problem. He was free to give away his money. You have no claim over it.

There is a 94 years old american citizen staying in US with his elder son. His elder son foresees that his father health is now worsening. So to avoid any trouble and taking care of his father, he took his father out of US to a relative . Ditched him and Dumps him there and took away the old man's passport with him,so that he cannot come back to US. Soon after that old man gets sick; is out of his mental health ;and complete bed ridden and finally passes away after 8 months.
Now are you guys saying that his american son has not done anything illegal ??????

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In other words, one son left his elderly father in the care of the other son.

As you were told, if the passport was missing, the father could have gone to the local consulate or embassy.

"Bad" is subjective.

LdiJ

Interestingly, this exact same story was told either here or down the street a couple of weeks ago...same exact details, but the country involved was India rather than Australia.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Now are you guys saying that his american son has not done anything illegal ??????
Yes. We are saying that his American son has not done anything illegal. There was nothing stopping the relative from taking the father to the Embassy or Consulate to get a new passport and taking him back to the US.

Why don't you tell us specifically what law you believe was broken? Name names and provide links.

davew128

Unless he took the father forcefully against his will, he has broken no US laws. Perceived bad behavior is not a crime, else who else would be in Congress?

coolblue

Do you think a "94 years" old human being who could barely walk, listen, talk,understand can do all this???

In other words, one son left his elderly father in the care of the other son.

As you were told, if the passport was missing, the father could have gone to the local consulate or embassy.

"Bad" is subjective.

coolblue

Unless he took the father forcefully against his will, he has broken no US laws. Perceived bad behavior is not a crime, else who else would be in Congress?
Yes. It was against his will. The old man was 94 years helpless person who could barely walk, talk,listen, understand. He was made to believe it will be a short trip only.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It strikes me as very possible that Dad was already of diminished mental capacity and may have asked elder son to bring him to Oz to die - and didn't remember doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">