• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big Medical Bills Small Injury Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

claiminator

The gist of it is that I was in an accident where there is no doubt the other person is 100% at fault. I was injured from the impact which sent me to the hospital. I also went to see a couple of doctors for my dizziness and soreness. In total I racked up a little over $25,000 in bills.

I had no broken bones or anything super serious, just a mild concussion and a banged up shoulder. The doc only prescribed two physical therapy sessions because my insurance ran out within a few days of going. Although I had to practice the exercises at home.. took a couple of months to get right. I still get dizzy every now an then but the doc said it was only a "mild concussion" (yeah.. okay doc) I also get a little paranoid while driving now.

Anyways, we are finally negotiating what they will offer and I'm just trying to figure out what a fair deal is. Most calculators I've looked up said around 50k - 65k (at 1.5 x 25k)

I'm really not sure what the settlement should be since I had high medical bills but no serious injury's (broken bone, loss of something.. etc)

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin

justalayman

the state is important. That is why you were asked to provide it when starting the thread.

I'm really not sure what the settlement should be since I had high medical bills but no serious injury's (broken bone, loss of something.. etc)

if there are no state guidelines, I would think you were due your medical bills and little else,. You admit the injury was not severe nor truly debilitating. Surely the pain and suffering was minimal given the minimal treatment therefor you would be due actually costs but not much more.

Last edited:

xylene

A concussion is a serious injury. Especially if you required rehab and a substantial recovery period during which your major life activities were disrupted by dizziness.

The gist of it is that I was in an accident where there is no doubt the other person is 100% at fault. I was injured from the impact which sent me to the hospital. I also went to see a couple of doctors for my dizziness and soreness. In total I racked up a little over $25,000 in bills.

I had no broken bones or anything super serious, just a mild concussion and a banged up shoulder. The doc only prescribed two physical therapy sessions because my insurance ran out within a few days of going. Although I had to practice the exercises at home.. took a couple of months to get right. I still get dizzy every now an then but the doc said it was only a "mild concussion" (yeah.. okay doc) I also get a little paranoid while driving now.

Anyways, we are finally negotiating what they will offer and I'm just trying to figure out what a fair deal is. Most calculators I've looked up said around 50k - 65k (at 1.5 x 25k)

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin
I'm curious as to how you can rack up 25k without sustaining any broken bones, a mild concussion and a banged up shoulder. Seeing a couple doctors for dizziness and a couple therapy sessions certainly don't equate to 25k!

Based on the fact you suffered no serious injuries and no broken bones, you aren't going to win the settlement lottery! ;)

quincy

... I still get dizzy every now an then but the doc said it was only a "mild concussion" ...

Anyways, we are finally negotiating what they will offer and I'm just trying to figure out what a fair deal is. Most calculators I've looked up said around 50k - 65k (at 1.5 x 25k) ...
Please pay no attention to online "calculators," Kevin. They are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. Cases are not decided based on a formula but on the specific facts presented.

I agree with xylene that suffering a concussion in an accident can potentially equate to a serious injury.

That said, until you answer the question asked by justalayman, the only advice of any relevance that can be offered to you is to consult with a personal injury attorney in your area. The name of your state matters.

Proserpina

I'm curious as to how you can rack up 25k without sustaining any broken bones, a mild concussion and a banged up shoulder. Seeing a couple doctors for dizziness and a couple therapy sessions certainly don't equate to 25k!

Based on the fact you suffered no serious injuries and no broken bones, you aren't going to win the settlement lottery! ;)
Given your multiple ... "disabilities" ... I would have thought you'd be the last person to comment on the price of medical care.

Unless of course you were projecting.

Ladyback1

While I don't disagree that the OP probably won't win a settlement lottery--I can see where a trip to the ER and some Dr. appt's can lead up to $25K in debt. (ESPECIALLY if the OP went via ambulance from the scene of the accident to the ER).

claiminator

State

Sorry Guys, Didn't see that I was suppose to include the state. It happened in Georgia

The accident was pretty hard hitting.. I stumbled out of my car and basically fell over. The ambulance came an they ran all the scans at the hospital and then more scans afterwards at different locations.. it all added up quick. I'm not making up the bill (25k), I wanted to provide it so someone could assist me to the best extent possible.

latigo

Sorry Guys, Didn't see that I was suppose to include the state. It happened in Georgia

The accident was pretty hard hitting.. I stumbled out of my car and basically fell over. The ambulance came an they ran all the scans at the hospital and then more scans afterwards at different locations.. it all added up quick. I'm not making up the bill (25k), I wanted to provide it so someone could assist me to the best extent possible.
The "assistance" needed is NOT going to pop on your laptop!

Make an appointment with an established PI attorney who will be able to evaluate your claim. With most the initial consultation won't cost you a cent.

Yes! I know what you are thinking. You don't wish to give up a percentage of any settlement or award. But what you are not aware of is that liability carriers also consider the merits of the claimant's lawyer. They don't pay much heed to the inexperienced and weak, but they dislike dealing with the heavy weights who have a habit of getting into their pocketbooks.

claiminator

It's funny that you say that because I was just about to ask some more questions such as.. (also i might have played down my injuries it took almost 8 months to recover)

- Would hiring a lawyer be worth it? (At the end of the day what little extra the can get me minus there fees, would I come out ahead vs doing this myself)
- If going with a lawyer is a good choice, what type of lawyer? (I've read you don't want the flashy tv commercial guys, is this true?)

My medical insurance negotiated a lower price for what they had to pay the medical/hospital
- It appears I will have to still pay back the rest of the medical bills as well as the insurance company, is that correct?
- Would I be able to negotiate a lower medical bill by myself?

I spoke with the insurance company and they offered me $32,000 as the initial offer.
- What should my counter offer be?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I spoke with the insurance company and they offered me $32,000 as the initial offer.
- What should my counter offer be?
Do you REALLY expect a bunch of random strangers on the internet to give you anything even resembling a valid answer to this question? Nobody here has examined you, nor do we know any of the other facts of the matter.

claiminator

Do you REALLY expect a bunch of random strangers on the internet to give you anything even resembling a valid answer to this question? Nobody here has examined you, nor do we know any of the other facts of the matter.
Yes, I was hoping random strangers would give me advice.

I'm lost at sea in all of this and I have no idea as to what I should do. I don't personally know anyone who could give me advice on the subject so I don't think I have a lot of options as far as getting advice goes. Even if you don't have ALL the facts I was hoping to at least be pointed in the right direction; otherwise, I'm just going to have to read blog articles and guess my way through all of this without any advice or guidance.

latigo

Yes, I was hoping random strangers would give me advice.

I'm lost at sea in all of this and I have no idea as to what I should do. I don't personally know anyone who could give me advice on the subject so I don't think I have a lot of options as far as getting advice goes. Even if you don't have ALL the facts I was hoping to at least be pointed in the right direction; otherwise, I'm just going to have to read blog articles and guess my way through all of this without any advice or guidance.
I just gave you an "idea" of what you should do! This place isn't a daycare. Geez!

Repeating: Speak with a PI attorney. (The letters P and I being an acronym for PERSONAL INJURY.) And certainly not one whose "Alfred E Neuman's" toothy countenance is plastered on a billboard. The good ones don't need to advertise. So ask around, makes some calls and stop looking in cyberspace for non existing answers.

AND don't let the statute of limitations catch you sleeping.

ecmst12

A message board is not a substitute for an attorney. The questions you are asking indicate that you need to hire a professional.

You will need to pay your insurance company back for what they paid out plus your portion of the bills, out of your settlement. You won't have to pay back the negotiated discount though.

Steffy Potter

A message board is not a substitute for an attorney. The questions you are asking indicate that you need to hire a professional.

You will need to pay your insurance company back for what they paid out plus your portion of the bills, out of your settlement. You won't have to pay back the negotiated discount though.
Get some proper legal advice is my advice.

Good Luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">