• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Citation HELP!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MK84MD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I received a parking citation last week and am looking for other people’s input on this. I’m actually quite upset because I have never gotten a ticket before and believe this citation is unfair. I was going over to my sister’s house to help her watch her 18 month old daughter, since she is in her last month of pregnancy and she’s been having severe migraine headaches. I parked in my usual stop. Right where I always park, there is a sign that says: “No parking street sweeping Tuesday 8AM-12PM April 1thru Dec. 1 (btw…it was a Monday). Below this it says Snow Removal after 2in. snowfall no parking this side of street 9PM-9AM. And below this, it said resident parking only 2AM-6AM. It was 11AM, so I went right in and watched my niece for about 4 hours. (btw…I am a non resident of that village). As I was leaving, I noticed a cop by my car and as I exited the house, he drove off. I walked to my car and of course, there is a lovely orange slip behind my right windshield wiper. To my surprise, it says that the parking citation is for parking in a 15 minute parking only, except residents zone. I was surprised and frustrated so I started walking around and looking at other signs on the street. And sure enough, at the beginning of the street there are the same signs as the ones I parked under and in addition to those one more is attached that said 15 min. parking, except residents. The same signs are there at the end of the street, as well. However, where I parked that additional 15 minute sign is not added to the combination of signs. I went to the village and they told me well the signs are there at the beginning and at the end. But, my question is then why if they do have signs placed in the middle of the street, why didn’t they attach the 15 minute sign there. Do you think I have a case? I have always parked there with no problems, and now all of the sudden they add another sign. Should I go to court????? I appreciate everyone's input!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I received a parking citation last week and am looking for other people’s input on this. I’m actually quite upset because I have never gotten a ticket before and believe this citation is unfair. I was going over to my sister’s house to help her watch her 18 month old daughter, since she is in her last month of pregnancy and she’s been having severe migraine headaches. I parked in my usual stop. Right where I always park, there is a sign that says: “No parking street sweeping Tuesday 8AM-12PM April 1thru Dec. 1 (btw…it was a Monday). Below this it says Snow Removal after 2in. snowfall no parking this side of street 9PM-9AM. And below this, it said resident parking only 2AM-6AM. It was 11AM, so I went right in and watched my niece for about 4 hours. (btw…I am a non resident of that village). As I was leaving, I noticed a cop by my car and as I exited the house, he drove off. I walked to my car and of course, there is a lovely orange slip behind my right windshield wiper. To my surprise, it says that the parking citation is for parking in a 15 minute parking only, except residents zone. I was surprised and frustrated so I started walking around and looking at other signs on the street. And sure enough, at the beginning of the street there are the same signs as the ones I parked under and in addition to those one more is attached that said 15 min. parking, except residents. The same signs are there at the end of the street, as well. However, where I parked that additional 15 minute sign is not added to the combination of signs. I went to the village and they told me well the signs are there at the beginning and at the end. But, my question is then why if they do have signs placed in the middle of the street, why didn’t they attach the 15 minute sign there. Do you think I have a case? I have always parked there with no problems, and now all of the sudden they add another sign. Should I go to court????? I appreciate everyone's input!
You could take video of the signage and bring it to traffic court when you dispute the ticket. Mr. Blue got a speeding ticket. Turns out the speed limit on one side of the street was different that the other. The dropped the ticket and fixed the signage. This was in Massachusetts. ;)

Just Blue

They were at the beginning of the street (and the end). The OP just didn't see them.
Yup. But!! If they had some signs at the beginning and at the end but NOT in the "middle" it is not strange for the average person to think it is okay to park according to the signs posted where they parked. IMO it would not be a WOT for OP to dispute the ticket in traffic court.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

:)

LdiJ

They were at the beginning of the street (and the end). The OP just didn't see them.
I think that the fact that they were at the beginning of the street (attached to the regular parking signs) but not on the signs in the area where OP parked, is a valid reason to challenge the ticket, even if she saw the signs at the beginning and end of the street.

The fact that there are parking signs every XX number of feet along the street, but only the extra 15 minutes only sign at the beginning and end of the street could easily cause a reasonable person to assume that the 15 minute max only applied at the beginning and end of the street.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yup. But!! If they had some signs at the beginning and at the end but NOT in the "middle" it is not strange for the average person to think it is okay to park according to the signs posted where they parked. IMO it would not be a WOT for OP to dispute the ticket in traffic court.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

:)
I agree that it's worth fighting the ticket, but I don't think the OP is going to prevail.

LdiJ

I agree that it's worth fighting the ticket, but I don't think the OP is going to prevail.
I would bet that she does. All she needs to do is show the judge pictures of the signs that were closest to her car.

Zigner

I would bet that she does. All she needs to do is show the judge pictures of the signs that were closest to her car.
First of all: What judge? :confused:

Second: The signs ARE legally proper. Sure, they may seem unfair, but they are proper. THAT is why it's not a sure thing.

LdiJ

First of all: What judge? :confused:

Second: The signs ARE legally proper. Sure, they may seem unfair, but they are proper. THAT is why it's not a sure thing.
The judge in front of whom she will be challenging the ticket. I do not agree that the signage is proper.

Zigner

The judge in front of whom she will be challenging the ticket. I do not agree that the signage is proper.
There is no judge (at least, not at the initial appeal.)

Please point out section of code, or law, that backs up your contention that the signage, as described by the OP, was not proper.

Zigner

Listen, I'm not saying that the OP isn't getting a raw deal. I'm just saying that, if the signage is legally correct, then there is a much greater chance that the OP will lose the appeal vs winning it. I feel that a sign at the beginning of the block is enough. You say it is not. When one of us has the time to find a citation relating to this matter, then we'll know better ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">