• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bricedenzel

Tennessee
It's a rather long story, but I'll ask with a brief description. My mom just found out she has cancer. She's not going to be here much longer. My step dad has a $250k insurance policy on her. My question is can my brother and I sue for a portion of that money, because my reasoning is that he cheated on her, and they're currently divorcing. I would think her children deserve that more than an ex husband who was unfaithful.

I'mTheFather

Not unless you and your brother are the named beneficiaries of the policy, and I'm a little disturbed that you're thinking about money when your mother was just diagnosed with cancer.

FlyingRon

The policy belonged to the person who purchased it. As stated unless step dad puts you as beneficiaries, you don't have any right to anything no matter how poorly he treated your mother. In fact, you don't have rights to anything that is his or anything jointly held between him and your mom. Further, mom has the right to not give you anything she owns in her will.

tranquility

Tennessee
It's a rather long story, but I'll ask with a brief description. My mom just found out she has cancer. She's not going to be here much longer. My step dad has a $250k insurance policy on her. My question is can my brother and I sue for a portion of that money, because my reasoning is that he cheated on her, and they're currently divorcing. I would think her children deserve that more than an ex husband who was unfaithful.
No. You don't have a reason in the first place and you don't have standing in the second.

Eekamouse

Tennessee
Hmmmm....what's worse? An unfaithful husband or really greedy children?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">