• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying a house with no down payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Is it ever possible to buy a house without a down payment? I would like to make an offer on a house but get back the good faith check and have the down payment and closing costs added to the mortgage. Is that possible?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is it ever possible to buy a house without a down payment? I would like to make an offer on a house but get back the good faith check and have the down payment and closing costs added to the mortgage. Is that possible?
No, but you may be able to get a second for the down payment...speak to a loan broker/banker about this. It's not a legal question.

adjusterjack

Possible, but unlikely, as lenders want you to have a monetary stake in the property so if you default you are walking away from your own money.

STEPHAN

Sometimes small local community banks do this if you have extremely good credit or the house is a really good deal.

miftah09

In my country, its not possible to buying house with down payment. But if you pay a down payment at a cheap price, it could be happen.

quincy

It can be possible to purchase a home with no down payment if you find the right seller and forgo a bank loan.

Although not as common today because of low interest rates, houses were sold with some frequency by having the seller finance the sale through a land contract purchase agreement. These agreements can be fashioned in a way that can be beneficial to both buyer and seller - but such an agreement should not be considered without professional help. While there can be benefits, these agreements also can carry greater risks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">