• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer Declined Repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quanghieu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? For this question RI, but I am looking for a more general law answer.

Say you have a person come in and wants brake pads on their car and you measure the rotors and they are at the discard thickness as set by the vehicle manufacturer. You inform the customer of this and they say they just want new brake pads slapped in. So you document this and have them sign that they declined new rotors and leave. The rotors fail at some point by cracking, is the shop liable or protected because they made the recommendation and documented it and documented the customer was advised and declined.

Mass_Shyster

The shop may have some protection against the customer in a lawsuit. I wouldn't expect that to carry much weight when the customer's passengers sue, or when the people in the other car sue.

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? For this question RI, but I am looking for a more general law answer.

Say you have a person come in and wants brake pads on their car and you measure the rotors and they are at the discard thickness as set by the vehicle manufacturer. You inform the customer of this and they say they just want new brake pads slapped in. So you document this and have them sign that they declined new rotors and leave. The rotors fail at some point by cracking, is the shop liable or protected because they made the recommendation and documented it and documented the customer was advised and declined.
The shop might be liable.

The shop would certainly be protected by it's LIABILITY INSURANCE.

And if you're that concerned with the potential consequences just decline to do the work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">