• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart ruined my brand new carpet!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ferro14

I'm in Connecticut and recently purchased some items from Walmart.com - a large order, $150 worth of toiletries / household items / groceries. I had a gift card from Walmart and decided to give the online ordering a try.

They were being shipped in multiple boxes for some reason.

My most recent box of items was received yesterday. I did not know what would be inside this one (since they shipped random items at random times, even though I asked everything to be shipped in one shipment).

I opened it up in a room that has brand new $1500 wall-to-wall carpet, just installed 1 year ago from Lowes. That shouldn't matter. I pulled out some items and started unpacking them. Most of the liquids were packed with tape over the top, and also placed in clear plastic bags. Of ALL things to NOT be packaged this well... liquid-gel Bleach! When I got closer to the bottom of the box, I noticed something was leaking. Wasn't sure if it was soap, shampoo, dish soap, etc. It was like a slippery gel feeling.

I eventually pulled out the bottle of bleach, and it literally dripped EVERYWHERE. I don't just mean a few dribbles.. I mean it splashed large spots all over my carpet. I panicked, ran to go put this leaky bottle in the sink. I ran back with a wet cloth and desperately tried rinsing out the bleach stains with plain water. I felt some relief that maybe this kind of bleach didn't affect fabric... but nope, I wasn't that lucky. Got big ol' purple bleach stains all over our nice light grey carpet.

I am very upset. After seeing the bleach stains and knowing there's not a damn thing I can do to ever get bleach out... I contacted Walmart customer service. I was in tears and all they offered me was to refund the $2 bottle of bleach. My husband came home and saw the stains and was very upset. He said no more bleach in this house. I use it for cleaning the bathroom and of course whites in the laundry. Bad idea I guess.

I called Walmart again, and was this time only offered me a $10 credit and partial refund. it's really a slap in the face that it was their mistake and they don't even care or own up to it. How is $10 going to compensate for a $1500 carpet I'm going to have to replace or repair.

The only proof I have is the tape that slipped off the top of the bleach bottle. It was so soaked in bleach-gel that it kept it's form and slipped off right into my hands. I also took photos of the bleach in the bottom of the Walmart.com box and the stains all over my carpet.

What would you guys do in my predicament? Can I sue Walmart or do we just live with bleach-stained spots all over our brand new carpet...? And let it be a lesson learned to never go anywhere near bleach again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You open a box that you KNEW could (and SHOULD) contain bleach while in the middle of your brand new carpet? Then, you ran across the carpeted room with the leaking bottle of bleach dripping all over the carpet. It sounds like you bear a large part of the responsibility for this.

ferro14

You open a box that you KNEW could (and SHOULD) contain bleach while in the middle of your brand new carpet? Then, you ran across the carpeted room with the leaking bottle of bleach dripping all over the carpet. It sounds like you bear a large part of the responsibility for this.
True. I never in a million years thought it would be leaking though. Especially when all the other liquids and soaps were packaged so diligently. What if I had opened it on a tiled floor but it happened to splash all over my clothes? Should I have opened the box outside wearing a raincoat?

Zigner

True. I never in a million years thought it would be leaking though. Especially when all the other liquids and soaps were packaged so diligently. What if I had opened it on a tiled floor but it happened to splash all over my clothes? Should I have opened the box outside wearing a raincoat?
Then you'd be looking at a few bucks for a new set of clothes (figuratively speaking), not $1,500 for new carpet.

But seriously, why would you open a box known to contain bleach, and known to have leaked inside, so recklessly that it would splash all over the place?

ferro14

Then you'd be looking at a few bucks for a new set of clothes (figuratively speaking), not $1,500 for new carpet.

But seriously, why would you open a box known to contain bleach, and known to have leaked inside, so recklessly that it would splash all over the place?
Well for one thing, my order was broken up into 5 different shipments. I didn't know that it would contain bleach. I didn't know what would be inside. There was no packing slip listing all the contents. I also ordered everything last week and forgot everything I purchased.

Secondly, I live in a small carpeted condo. Everything but the small kitchen and even smaller bathroom are carpeted. My living room is where I open big boxes like this because it's right by the door.

Thirdly, recklessly? Most of the items I pulled out of the box had tape over the nozzles / lids. So, I was taking item by item out of the box, and unwrapping the plastic it came in, then I'd go put it away. I happened to take out the bottle of bleach next, which had tape over the top. I then felt it dribbling and that's when I panicked. It could happen to anyone. Walmart.com should have placed it inside a clear plastic bag like they did with most of the dish soaps and liquids they sent. if they had packaged it WELL, then I would agree, I would be an idiot for "recklessly" ripping open a plastic bag that clearly contained bleach over a brand new carpet. But that was not the case.

ferro14

What makes you think it was known to have leaked inside? When did I ever say that I knew bleach leaked in the box? I didn't know until after I CAREFULLY took it out of the box, even though it had tape over the opening. I actually had to hold it over the sink to inspect where the heck it was leaking from. My only fault was ordering bleach in the first place. But again, why wouldn't they package it correctly to even make sure it didn't leak all over the other items, get on people's clothing or furniture? Someone could have opened the box on an expensive couch or wearing a $1000 suit if they just got home from work. The point is they did not package it well enough to prevent it from leaking.

Also, I didn't even realize it was leaking until AFTER I picked it up. At that point it was like it had a hole in it or something because I SAW it drip right onto the carpet from somewhere. At that point, I didn't know where exactly it was leaking from. Then my reaction was immediately to get it to the bathroom sink ASAP. I didn't see it or feel it prior to taking it out of the box. It looked fine until it was dripping all over the place. I then noticed -- after the fact -- that the bottom of the box had a bleach stain, and some of my other items in the bottom of the box also had wet gooey gel on them.

Last edited:

quincy

The box containing bleach was not labeled to indicate contents?

Was this a direct shipment from Walmart (a Walmart truck) or was another shipper used (e.g., UPS)?

ferro14

The box containing bleach was not labeled to indicate contents?

Was this a direct shipment from Walmart (a Walmart truck) or was another shipper used (e.g., UPS)?
No, there was no indication outside the box that this package contained bleach. There was not even a packing slip inside the box on top of the items. The boxes are delivered while I'm at work, and are left outside by the door. It looks like FedEx home delivery was used.

quincy

No, there was no indication outside the box that this package contained bleach. There was not even a packing slip inside the box on top of the items. The boxes are delivered while I'm at work, and are left outside by the door. It looks like FedEx home delivery was used.
Nowhere on the shipping box did it say "potential hazard?"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm in Connecticut and recently purchased some items from Walmart.com - a large order, $150 worth of toiletries / household items / groceries. I had a gift card from Walmart and decided to give the online ordering a try.

They were being shipped in multiple boxes for some reason.

My most recent box of items was received yesterday. I did not know what would be inside this one (since they shipped random items at random times, even though I asked everything to be shipped in one shipment).

I opened it up in a room that has brand new $1500 wall-to-wall carpet, just installed 1 year ago from Lowes. That shouldn't matter. I pulled out some items and started unpacking them. Most of the liquids were packed with tape over the top, and also placed in clear plastic bags. Of ALL things to NOT be packaged this well... liquid-gel Bleach! When I got closer to the bottom of the box, I noticed something was leaking. Wasn't sure if it was soap, shampoo, dish soap, etc. It was like a slippery gel feeling.

I eventually pulled out the bottle of bleach, and it literally dripped EVERYWHERE. I don't just mean a few dribbles.. I mean it splashed large spots all over my carpet. I panicked, ran to go put this leaky bottle in the sink. I ran back with a wet cloth and desperately tried rinsing out the bleach stains with plain water. I felt some relief that maybe this kind of bleach didn't affect fabric... but nope, I wasn't that lucky. Got big ol' purple bleach stains all over our nice light grey carpet.

I am very upset. After seeing the bleach stains and knowing there's not a damn thing I can do to ever get bleach out... I contacted Walmart customer service. I was in tears and all they offered me was to refund the $2 bottle of bleach. My husband came home and saw the stains and was very upset. He said no more bleach in this house. I use it for cleaning the bathroom and of course whites in the laundry. Bad idea I guess.

I called Walmart again, and was this time only offered me a $10 credit and partial refund. it's really a slap in the face that it was their mistake and they don't even care or own up to it. How is $10 going to compensate for a $1500 carpet I'm going to have to replace or repair.

The only proof I have is the tape that slipped off the top of the bleach bottle. It was so soaked in bleach-gel that it kept it's form and slipped off right into my hands. I also took photos of the bleach in the bottom of the Walmart.com box and the stains all over my carpet.

What would you guys do in my predicament? Can I sue Walmart or do we just live with bleach-stained spots all over our brand new carpet...? And let it be a lesson learned to never go anywhere near bleach again.
Nope. You ruined your brand new carpet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What makes you think it was known to have leaked inside? When did I ever say that I knew bleach leaked in the box? I didn't know until after I CAREFULLY took it out of the box, even though it had tape over the opening. I actually had to hold it over the sink to inspect where the heck it was leaking from. My only fault was ordering bleach in the first place. But again, why wouldn't they package it correctly to even make sure it didn't leak all over the other items, get on people's clothing or furniture? Someone could have opened the box on an expensive couch or wearing a $1000 suit if they just got home from work. The point is they did not package it well enough to prevent it from leaking.

Also, I didn't even realize it was leaking until AFTER I picked it up. At that point it was like it had a hole in it or something because I SAW it drip right onto the carpet from somewhere. At that point, I didn't know where exactly it was leaking from. Then my reaction was immediately to get it to the bathroom sink ASAP. I didn't see it or feel it prior to taking it out of the box. It looked fine until it was dripping all over the place. I then noticed -- after the fact -- that the bottom of the box had a bleach stain, and some of my other items in the bottom of the box also had wet gooey gel on them.
You knew something was leaking IN THE BOX. You knew that.
When I got closer to the bottom of the box, I noticed something was leaking. Wasn't sure if it was soap, shampoo, dish soap, etc. It was like a slippery gel feeling.
At that point you should have taken precautions to get towels or something to protect the carpeting.

ferro14

You knew something was leaking IN THE BOX. You knew that.
At that point you should have taken precautions to get towels or something to protect the carpeting.
I said AFTER I had removed the bleach from the box, I went back to the box and THEN noticed there was a leak.

ferro14

Nowhere on the shipping box did it say "potential hazard?"
No, nothing at all. No potential hazard stickers, no "contains liquid" or "contains hazardous materials". I found this strange too. I just looked and Fedex actually prohibits shipping bleach.

Zigner

Well for one thing, my order was broken up into 5 different shipments. I didn't know that it would contain bleach. I didn't know what would be inside. There was no packing slip listing all the contents. I also ordered everything last week and forgot everything I purchased.
You knew that one of the boxes would contain bleach.

Secondly, I live in a small carpeted condo. Everything but the small kitchen and even smaller bathroom are carpeted. My living room is where I open big boxes like this because it's right by the door.
Then put something down on the carpet first...Heck, why would you take a dirty box that had been sitting on the ground outside and set it down on your brand new carpet?

Thirdly, recklessly? Most of the items I pulled out of the box had tape over the nozzles / lids. So, I was taking item by item out of the box, and unwrapping the plastic it came in, then I'd go put it away. I happened to take out the bottle of bleach next, which had tape over the top. I then felt it dribbling and that's when I panicked. It could happen to anyone. Walmart.com should have placed it inside a clear plastic bag like they did with most of the dish soaps and liquids they sent. if they had packaged it WELL, then I would agree, I would be an idiot for "recklessly" ripping open a plastic bag that clearly contained bleach over a brand new carpet. But that was not the case.
You failed to take appropriate precautions.

ferro14

Nope. You ruined your brand new carpet.
I already purchased fabric dye and am going to fix the carpet myself. That IS taking responsibility, I am fixing the carpet. Walmart isn't. I AM. I have already stated several times that I have taken responsibility for buying the bleach in the first place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">