• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues with neighbors and landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skamble

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachussetts

I have question regarding the noises from neighbor upstairs that disturbs me. Property management is not ready to help me out as there is no direct noises that they can prevent. We can hear neighbors footsteps and noises from closing or opening the closets, etc. According to property manager they cannot help with this issue as the tenants upstairs are not playing any loud music or partying late night, they just walk heavily, and they cannot do anything for this behavioral problem. I was wondering if there is any way to sue the management or the tenants upstairs? We have talked to tenants and conveyed our concerns to them but they haven't changed their behavior. I would appreciate some advice on this one.

Thanks

FlyingRon

You want them to forgo walking around their apartment or opening or closing closet doors? Sounds like a crappy building rather than tenant behavior. Sure you can sue people, but you're ont going to win. The best you can hope for is to move out without reprucussions.

FlyingRon

In some cases a heavy carpet and thick mat abate a lot of noise ....ask?
Unless the lease requires carpet, you may have a hard time getting that. I'm a little reticent with my allergies to have carpets in my place.

latigo

Unless the lease requires carpet, you may have a hard time getting that. I'm a little reticent with my allergies to have carpets in my place.
"Reticent"? Wouldn't that apt to be the type of flooring needed in the upstairs unit, like silent and quiet? :)

FarmerJ

Did you rent the lower half of a old OLD house that was converted into a multi unit or designed to be a duplex but built many years before building codes would have required some kind of sound proofing between the two units ? If this is the case then make sure your LL has notice in writing with in the timelines your lease says for giving notice sent via confirmed mail delivery or certified mail and move to a newer building where soundproofing techniques were used between units. SO if you have say two months and 9 days left on your current lease then go ahead and give notice NOW for the end of december and go find a new place to live.

skamble

In some cases a heavy carpet and thick mat abate a lot of noise ....ask?
Yes I have asked the landlord about the carpet, but they are not willing to put the carpet. Although the landlords have put carpets in some of the apartment unit in my building (we have carpet everywhere except kitchen). landlord haven't put the carpets for tenants living upstairs.

skamble

Did you rent the lower half of a old OLD house that was converted into a multi unit or designed to be a duplex but built many years before building codes would have required some kind of sound proofing between the two units ? If this is the case then make sure your LL has notice in writing with in the timelines your lease says for giving notice sent via confirmed mail delivery or certified mail and move to a newer building where soundproofing techniques were used between units. SO if you have say two months and 9 days left on your current lease then go ahead and give notice NOW for the end of december and go find a new place to live.
No, its not the lower half of the old house. I live on 2nd floor in the condominium.

Just Blue

No, its not the lower half of the old house. I live on 2nd floor in the condominium.
Then move. I live in Ma and have always rented. I have had, mostly, crappy upstairs neighbors. When that happens I move. Luckily I now have the BEST of upstairs neighbors...They are awesome. They actually say sorry if they "thump" a box...like I care. People have a RIGHT to LIVE and do what they do (reasonably) in their home.

OP...Learn it. Love it. Live it. Or just buy a house. :)

skamble

Then move. I live in Ma and have always rented. I have had, mostly, crappy upstairs neighbors. When that happens I move. Luckily I now have the BEST of upstairs neighbors...They are awesome. They actually say sorry if they "thump" a box...like I care. People have a RIGHT to LIVE and do what they do (reasonably) in their home.

OP...Learn it. Love it. Live it. Or just buy a house. :)

Unfortunately I renewed the lease recently, so cannot move until next year or else I have to pay 4 months rent to move out.. Both the options are not possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">