• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer representing themselves

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gthreeamigos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana I filed a claim with the EEOC and got my right to sue letter pre trial hearing was set then rescheduled due to my former employer firing their attorney and are going to represent themselves!! Is this normal?

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana I filed a claim with the EEOC and got my right to sue letter pre trial hearing was set then rescheduled due to my former employer firing their attorney and are going to represent themselves!! Is this normal?
Unusual, yes and maybe not legally possible. What is the corporate structure of the business; Corp, llc, partnership, etc. or is it none?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they have less than 15 employees they do not fall under the EEOC's jurisdiction, so just exactly what kind of right to sue letter did you get?

gthreeamigos

If they have less than 15 employees they do not fall under the EEOC's jurisdiction, so just exactly what kind of right to sue letter did you get?
It was from the Indiana Cival rights They said ruled harassment and my attorney says we are going to trial! so I dont know how because there are less than 15 employees but we are going to court!

HRZ

State law on civil rights covers 6 employees on up.but if you don't have the right letter for right forum...you may be procedurally dead meat**************

quincy

It was from the Indiana Cival rights They said ruled harassment and my attorney says we are going to trial! so I dont know how because there are less than 15 employees but we are going to court!
If you have an attorney, any questions you have can be directed to him/her. Your attorney is in a better position to answer questions about your case than anyone on this forum as your attorney has access to all of the facts.

Good luck in court.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Small business inc. less than 15 employees! Was just nothing I have ever heard of
If the business is just a sole proprietorship then the owner may represent himself/herself if the owner chooses. It might not be a very smart way for the owner to go, but the owner has that right. If the business is organized as a corporation or LLC then generally the business must be represented by an attorney in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">