• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Godmother rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yayapickett@gma

I have been the godmother since my god son waz born in 08. In 2009 I became his legal foster parent, he has always lived with me from age 1 till 7. Then he wuz returned to father. Since then dad remarried , the new wife will not allow me to see my godson. But in court the judge and children services told them it would be very harmful to him. Since iv been his only stability. And we have a very close bond. What the heck can I do.. do I have any rights at all.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
1) What state are you in?

2) Were there actually any court orders established, based child services recommendations?

While I suspect you are out of luck, the new wife is also a legal stranger unless she adopts (unlikely).

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I have been the godmother since my god son waz born in 08. In 2009 I became his legal foster parent, he has always lived with me from age 1 till 7. Then he wuz returned to father. Since then dad remarried , the new wife will not allow me to see my godson. But in court the judge and children services told them it would be very harmful to him. Since iv been his only stability. And we have a very close bond. What the heck can I do.. do I have any rights at all.
You were a foster parent until custody of the child was returned to his father, at which time your rights as a foster parent ended. Godparents have no legal relationship to a child; they are basically legal strangers to the child. So at the moment whether you get visitation with the child is up to the child’s father. (And where is the mother in all this?) You would have to seek a court order of visitation if you cannot work it out with the father. Whether you would even have standing to pursue visitation depends on the laws of the state in which he child resides, and you did not mention the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">