• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Group life insurance denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaspee

Can the insurance company that supplies group life insurance at my place of employment deny me a group life insurance plan?

xylene

Happens all the time. If you didn't receive an explanation for the denial, you need to request one in writing.

Jaspee

Happens all the time. If you didn't receive an explanation for the denialica, you need to request one in writing.
But it's a group plan. I had it before. Left the company for 3 months then came back and I was told I had to reapply. Had to send them 3 years of medical records and a doctors note. Didnt have to do that the first time. My medical condition is the same as it was 2 years ago when I had it. Which is 300 pounds and being 57, well 55 at the time. I can be turned down for a group plan that doesn't require anything to get the life insurance accept be employed by the company?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Coming to you straight from HR/Benefits:

Even a group life policy does not have guaranteed issue unless the policy has expressly been set up that way. I'm guessing that your plan is set so that an initial application is guaranteed issue, but if the policy is termed and later re-applied for, medical underwriting applies. This is legal; this is common.

adjusterjack

But it's a group plan. I had it before. Left the company for 3 months then came back and I was told I had to reapply. Had to send them 3 years of medical records and a doctors note. Didnt have to do that the first time.
The first time could have been open enrollment with a guaranteed issue.

I can be turned down for a group plan that doesn't require anything to get the life insurance accept be employed by the company?
Medical insurance and life insurance are two different things. So, yes, you can be turned down for the group medical this time.

However, you might still be able to get it during the next open enrollment period which generally occurs the last couple of months of the year. Check on that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Beg to differ. Group medical and life are indeed two different things, but group medical cannot be denied as long as it's a qualified event or an open enrollment period. Group life, not so much.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
So, yes, you can be turned down for the group medical this time.
The federal law known popularly as Obamacare restricts the insurer’s (and employer’s) ability to turn down applicants for health insurance, whether for group coverage or for individual coverage. Similar restrictions do not apply for life insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">