• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caregiver to elderly parents that lives in a retirement community

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agfl

What is the name of your state (Forida)?

My parents are not in good health and need a full time live in caregiver but can't afford one.So I'm willing to care for them but the only issue is that they live in a retirement community and they only allow people who are 55+ or older to live there.Is their any legal way that I can get legal documents stating that i'm their full time live-in caregiver and I must reside in their home?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (Forida)?

My parents are not in good health and need a full time live in caregiver but can't afford one.So I'm willing to care for them but the only issue is that they live in a retirement community and they only allow people who are 55+ or older to live there.Is their any legal way that I can get legal documents stating that i'm their full time live-in caregiver and I must reside in their home?
How close to 55 are you?

DeenaCA

This falls under the "reasonable accommodations" requirements of the federal Fair Housing Act. The housing provider must permit a live-in aide if necessary for the care and well-being of a person with disabilities. A live-in aide does not need to meet age requirements for housing for older persons.

Here is a "plain English" explanation from a private company: https://ajjcs.net/paper/main/2016/10/10/compliance-with-hud-live-in-aide-rules/. Note that the guidelines explained here apply to both HUD-assisted and unassisted properties. Private landlords, managers, and condo boards are bound by the requirements of the Fair Housing Act. Also see the HUD/DOJ joint statement on reasonable accommodations at https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/crt/legacy/2010/12/14/joint_statement_ra.pdf.

The housing provider may require documentation that your parents need a live-in aide (typically a doctor's statement). Potential live-in aides are subject to criminal background screening but are not subject to credit screening since the aide is not responsible for housing costs.

Have you requested permission to move into the unit with your parents? If the housing providers deny permission (for example, on the basis that you are under age 55) then I recommend that you contact a fair housing agency and/or disability advocacy group in your area. You can find a fair housing agency at http://fairhousing.com/resources/agency-finder.

PayrollHRGuy

Kristin, this thread is almost 2 1/2 months old. Please DON'T raise threads from the dead.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">