• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restricted licence and DMV ( VA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mayasandy007

I was granted restricted licence by the court for my DUI. I was advised to obtain FR 44 and take it to DMV to get my restricted licence.
Today I went to DMV and they say my licence is revoked and I need to take written, eye and driving test in order to get licence. they didn't have any record of restricted access. they scanned my court order. I am very confused on this matter. I didn't know i needed to do all that for restricted licence.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was granted restricted licence by the court for my DUI. I was advised to obtain FR 44 and take it to DMV to get my restricted licence.
Today I went to DMV and they say my licence is revoked and I need to take written, eye and driving test in order to get licence. they didn't have any record of restricted access. they scanned my court order. I am very confused on this matter. I didn't know i needed to do all that for restricted licence.
Thank you for sharing. I hope you completed the simple tasks in order to obtain your license.

justalayman

So was your license revoked or suspended? If revoked, then you no longer have any license so what the dmv is demanding makes sense. People applying for a license usually have to go through all of what you list. If only suspended, then it doesn’t make a lot of sense since you do already have a license.

xylene

Per the VA DMV

Revocation

A revocation is the complete termination of your privilege to operate a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Once you comply with the terms of your revocation, as part of your reinstatement requirements, you will be required to take all applicable knowledge and skills tests and pay for a new license. A revocation may result for various reasons, but is typically related to convictions for very serious traffic violations or criminal offenses. Revocation reasons include, but are not limited to:

• Driving while intoxicated

I only included the applicable item, but yes, they can and do make you do everything as if you were getting a license the first time. I believe you may be able to waive the driving test via driver training... but that may not apply to your DUI revocation so you need to ask.

Mayasandy007

Yet you said the dmv is who said you have to take all the tests
yup when I went to my local office they said I needed to. they seem somewhat lost and didn't know what should be done now. so I called the customer service, they said I don't have to since I was given restricted licence on the day of conviction.

justalayman

That still doesn’t answer whether your license was revoked or merely suspended. If it was suspended and you are entitled to obtain restricted privileges with that license, great. If it was actually revoked, I still think you’ll have to go through all the tests and such. You said the dmv stated your license had been revoked. If it was only suspended they probably would have referred to it that way.

I’m not trying to argue with you but I suspect whomever you spoke to with on the phone may be the incorrect party. Just suggesting you be prepared to take all the tests and whatever to obtain your license.

Mayasandy007

That still doesn’t answer whether your license was revoked or merely suspended. If it was suspended and you are entitled to obtain restricted privileges with that license, great. If it was actually revoked, I still think you’ll have to go through all the tests and such. You said the dmv stated your license had been revoked. If it was only suspended they probably would have referred to it that way.

I’m not trying to argue with you but I suspect whomever you spoke to with on the phone may be the incorrect party. Just suggesting you be prepared to take all the tests and whatever to obtain your license.
I checked my account online, it says suspended. I am going on Wednesday to DMV. will update

Mayasandy007

Update: went to the DMV, the folks I dealt with knew what was going on and were very nice. they helped me swiftly, and was able to get temp restricted licence. new card will be mailed with in 10days.

FlyingRon

Good. I was going to point out it was unlikely that they made a discretionary error. Every time you do anything with the DMV they make a note in your file so that if you show up the next day hoping to find someone different (or to pitch a different story) they have the history.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">