• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer didn’t exspunge record but kept money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lmoore07

Texas

Hello I hired a lawyer about ten years ago to exspunge my record and it never was. I have checked multiple times to see that it’s still there. Can I get my money back?

Thanks for your time

xylene

What did the lawyer say when you asked about their innefective efforts to expunge your criminal record?

Lmoore07

He said they don’t have to remove it if they don’t want to. He says he checks but he has only called my a few times over the years

xylene

who is 'they'... if there is a discretionary aspect to this expungment... well they simply may have failed.

Just Blue

Texas

Hello I hired a lawyer about ten years ago to exspunge my record and it never was. I have checked multiple times to see that it’s still there. Can I get my money back?

Thanks for your time
What was your conviction? When were you convicted?

PayrollHRGuy

I think you will find that you paid a lawyer to do his best to have your record expunged. He seems to have failed.

It isn't really any different than you hiring a lawyer to defend you in the original case(s). That lawyer wasn't fully successful either. But he got paid.

quincy

He said they don’t have to remove it if they don’t want to. He says he checks but he has only called my a few times over the years
Is "they" the FBI? If so, your attorney is correct.

Also, not all offenses are expungeable.

quincy

When I hired him he said it could have it removed
All of this was 10 years ago? It is a little late for you to seek a refund now.

I suggest you find another attorney and try again. It is possible that not enough time had passed between your offense and the expungement attempt to permit expungement. But that is a guess.

You will want a legal professional in your area go over your record to see if there is/was good reason for the failure to clear your record.

Lmoore07

All of this was 10 years ago? It is a little late for you to seek a refund now.

I suggest you find another attorney and try again. It is possible that not enough time had passed between your offense and the expungement attempt to permit expungement. But that is a guess.

You will want a legal professional in your area go over your record to see if there is/was good reason for the failure to clear your record.
Ok thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">