• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a for profit and run as not for profit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjozwiak

What is the name of your state? NY

I would like to know if it is legal to start a for profit business and run it to donate to charities and such. I would like to have people vote on where the money goes.

quincy

Yes. It can be legal.

You should sit down with a business law professional to go over your plans.

Good luck.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? NY

I would like to know if it is legal to start a for profit business and run it to donate to charities and such. I would like to have people vote on where the money goes.
It is. Indeed, a great example is the Newman's own line of food products. The food products are all made by a regular (non tax exempt) business that then donates all its profits to the charity that Paul Newman created. But you will want to meet with a tax attorney for advice on how to do this with the best tax results and without violating any tax law. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">