• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unlawful 5250 hold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Can you clarify how daughter ended up in the OP? Did daughter tell you she had taken "some pills" and you called 911? You do understand that threatening suicide because she got caught shoplifting is irrational ...right?
Yes I understand what she did was irrational and yes she should be placed on the original 5150 hold, I’m not here to argue whether or not my daughter should be there for the 72 hour hold, I’m asking if it’s lawful for BILLING to tell me on day 2 that I need to pay for 4 days, and that my daughter will need to stay for 5-7 days and that I need to voluntarily let her stay or the doctor will make her stay. This did not come from the doctor and and I was told this before her evaluation was even in her file or the computer system

Just Blue

Yes I understand what she did was irrational and yes she should be placed on the original 5150 hold, I’m not here to argue whether or not my daughter should be there for the 72 hour hold, I’m asking if it’s lawful for BILLING to tell me on day 2 that I need to pay for 4 days, and that my daughter will need to stay for 5-7 days and that I need to voluntarily let her stay or the doctor will make her stay. This did not come from the doctor and and I was told this before her evaluation was even in her file or the computer system
It doesn't really matter. Your daughter needs help. 3 days really isn't enough time to assess her.

Just Blue

I didn't say it was even close to an effective attempt. But it was clearly enough of an attempt to get a 5150 and likely a 5250.
Oh!! I understand what you were saying...I just view it as a "I'll show THEM for grounding me!!" that came back and bit her in the butt. Kid still needs help as the action, whatever the reason she did it, is irrational and WAY outside the "norm".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
... BILLING DEPT called and is telling me my daughter will stay for 5-7 days ...
No, the billing department called asking for payment for 4 days because patients typically stay for 5-7 days. They never told you how long your daughter would stay. If your daughter is discharged at 3 days, then your overpayment will be refunded, and if she stays longer than 4 days, then you will receive another bill.

I didn't say it was even close to an effective attempt. But it was clearly enough of an attempt to get a 5150 and likely a 5250.
You’ve said my question has been answered because the doctor has the right to tell his staff about his patients and that is exactly my point! The billing person who called me said he doesn’t know my daughters doctor evaluation and has not seen her file but that is how cases go.

xylene

I'm more than allowed to hold psychiatric health care facilities in California in very low esteem, particularly private ones.

That's NOT a particularly controversial opinion.

If you all are upset by 'threatened', then how about implying... :rolleyes: lengthy involuntary commitment will occur unless bills are paid in advance is extremely manipulative and most liekely not aligned with a facility that intends patient wellness.

xylene

I'll take California Mental Health for 5250, Alex.

Your clue - A: PTSD and MRSA.

ummm Q: What are things that have never helped people recover from psychiatric problems?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I’m asking if it’s lawful for BILLING to tell me on day 2 that I need to pay for 4 days, and that my daughter will need to stay for 5-7 days and that I need to voluntarily let her stay or the doctor will make her stay.

Yes. It is lawful for Billing to tell you on day 2 that you need to pay for 4 days, and that my daughter will need to stay for 5-7 days and that you need to voluntarily let her stay or the doctor will make her stay.

I hope that this is now clear to you. If you have any other questions, be sure to let us know.

Zigner

I'll take California Mental Health for 5250, Alex.

Your clue - A: PTSD and MRSA.

ummm Q: What are things that have never helped people recover from psychiatric problems?
Of course, that has nothing to do with this thread related to billing matters or the legality of the 5150/5250.

Really, xylene, this is not a thread to soapbox on.

LdiJ

I've written at least two times in this thread that the doctor is free to tell his staff what his standards are and they are free to inform you of those standards and how those standards will effect you.

Wouldn't you be happier if the doctor was spending his time taking care of your child than dealing with billing questions?
I also have a problem with a "standard" being that people must stay for 5-7 days when the regular standard is the 72 hour hold.

Zigner

I also have a problem with a "standard" being that people must stay for 5-7 days when the regular standard is the 72 hour hold.
You have a misconception. A 5150 hold is 72 hours. If the doctor feels that a longer stay is necessary, then they can extend the involuntary stay by another 14 days. It's not correct to say that a 72 hours stay is "the regular standard", as each case is different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">