• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal precedent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New Mexico.

I finally received the determination in my case and I lost. Stuff happens and I’m going to let it go but the case bought up what I believe is a legal precedent, and some friends believe that it can be used in their cases so I thought I would ask the opinion of the legal experts.
The basis of my case has been posted on this forum in the past, but in summary;

I was a cop in charge of the property room. I found a big pile of hydroponic equipment seized as drug paraphernalia from a search warrant, the estimated cost of the paraphernalia was about $6,000. Over 2 pounds of dried marijuana buds were also seized from the search. At the time of the search the paraphernalia was being actively used to grow more. The case was long adjudicated and I told the case agent I was going to destroy the paraphernalia. The case agent told me to return it to the family. I refused. My immediate supervisor told me to destroy it so I did. I was demoted and suspended without pay. I Filed a Whistleblower Act civil suit stating that the case agents order to return the drug paraphernalia was unlawful. I lost.

During the investigation of the complaint two assistant district attorneys were interviewed. Both ADA’s stated that if drug paraphernalia is seized but the owner of the paraphernalia is not charged and if the paraphernalia can be used for a lawful purpose it has to be returned. They also stated that in the underlying case involving the marijuana grow the judge would not allow the paraphernalia to be used as evidence so at that point it was no longer drug paraphernalia. The interview was recorded and I have both the recording and the transcript of the recording.

In the final determination the District Court Judge confirmed this;

“There is no indication in any of the evidence submitted to this Court that the parties to whom the XXXXX property was to be returned to, i.e, the XXXXX family, intended to use the alleged paraphernalia for an unlawful purpose as required under 30-31-25.1 NMSA 1978. 9 (My Name) acknowledged this fact during his testimony.

The order to return the XXXXX property was not unlawful or improper.

Accordingly, (My Name) objection or refusal to return the property was not well founded and is not privileged under the Act.

This is particularly so, given that the chief Law enforcement Official in the county, the District Attorney’s Office, has specifically requested the XXXXX property in issue to be returned. “

So can this be used as a precedent to get my friends drug paraphernalia returned as they were not charged and now want to use it to smoke tobacco, and is it now even classed as drug paraphernalia?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Those would be great questions for your friends to ask of their attorney(s).

xylene

Seems like you and your supervisor did what you wanted and got nailed.

The bit about your friends sounds like a non sequitur at best and sour grapes at worst.

Still totally unsure why you think the case agent's order was unlawful and the ruling pretty much cements that.

I read it in a book.
30-31-25.1. Possession, delivery or manufacture of drug paraphernalia prohibited; exceptions.
A. It is unlawful for a person to use or possess with intent to use drug paraphernalia to plant, propagate, cultivate, grow, harvest, manufacture, compound, convert, produce, process, prepare, test, analyze, pack, repack, store, contain, conceal, inject, ingest, inhale or otherwise introduce into the human body a controlled substance in violation of the Controlled Substances Act. The provisions of this subsection do not apply to a person who is in possession of hypodermic syringes or needles at the time he is directly and immediately engaged in a harm reduction program, as provided in the Harm Reduction Act [24-2C-1 NMSA 1978].
B. It is unlawful for a person to deliver, possess with intent to deliver or manufacture with the intent to deliver drug paraphernalia with knowledge, or under circumstances where one reasonably should know, that it will be used to plant, propagate, cultivate, grow, harvest, manufacture, compound, convert, produce, process, prepare, test, analyze, pack, repack, store, contain, conceal, inject, ingest, inhale or otherwise introduce into the human body a controlled substance in violation of the Controlled Substances Act.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Since your friends are drug users I'd let them handle their own legal problems, especially since bongs or pipes are a dime a dozen and not worth fighting a court case over.

So after you were demoted and suspended did you quit or were you fired?

xylene

I'm sorry, you didn't understand my rhetorical question, I'll rephrase:

Why did throw your career under the bus in a one man war on weed?

Since your friends are drug users I'd let them handle their own legal problems, especially since bongs or pipes are a dime a dozen and not worth fighting a court case over.

So after you were demoted and suspended did you quit or were you fired?
I quit.

I'm sorry, you didn't understand my rhetorical question, I'll rephrase:

Why did throw your career under the bus in a one man war on weed?
What I did and the outcome is not the issue in my original question.
To reiterate, can my friends use the ADA's and the judges decision to get their drug paraphernalia returned, and can others use those decisions as a precedent?

Zigner

To reiterate, can my friends use the ADA's and the judges decision to get their drug paraphernalia returned, and can others use those decisions as a precedent?
You've received your answer. Now, if you have a real legal question that actually involves YOU, please feel free to post. Otherwise, have a nice day.

I forgot to add. If I was fighting a one man war I would contact the attorney general and tell them that in the original case the search warrant probable cause was that a sergeant had observed marijuana plants being grow. Two homicide detectives and a member of the drug task force had all reported seeing either growing or drying marijuana plants, but all those plants and any photos or chain of custody reports have all magically disappeared.
But I know the outcome and can't be bothered.

Please, not bongs, but glass smoking devices and some are ornate and very expensive. I made no mention on the nature of the paraphernalia, you jumped to a conclusion.

Zigner

Your answer escapes me as you haven't said yea or nay.
The answer is that the questions is unanswerable as posed. When your friends are involved in such a matter, your friends will need to consult with their own legal counsel.

The answer is that the questions is unanswerable as posed. When your friends are involved in such a matter, your friends will need to consult with their own legal counsel.
Thank you, I will suggest it to them.
I'm sorry if I hit a nerve with others but I felt it a simple question and thought that if any attorneys had a case where such a precedent may be used it could also be helpful to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">