• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured on the job Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Excalibur350se

What is the name of your state? I was helping to install a vertical 1500lb motor. Me and a coworker were working beside each other due to limited space. I had just climbed down off a beam and stepped down beside him to discuss what we’d do next. I thought he had grabbed a lining pin there were to up there I turned and looked away from him when I turned back something smacked me in the face so hard my ears were ringing and I was seeing stars. I also blacked out when I looked down there was blood on the top of the tank. I ended up with 8 stitches in the middle of my upper lip and a concussion. I was wondering if I would get compensated for this scar and the concussion. This happen

Excalibur350se

Yes I did report it . And didn’t get any time off.
Did you report your injury to your employer?

You should be eligible for workers compensation benefits, based strictly on what you have said of the accident.

Here is a link to the Illinois Workers Compensation Act: https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/iwcc/Documents/act.pdf
Yes I did report it and they took me to the er by ambulance for a head trauma . But did no scans or CT’s. Concussion didn’t show tell Tuesday night accident happen on a Monday.

quincy

You should be able to have your medical expenses covered (if the facts of your accident support it) and (temporary) disability benefits if you need/needed time off from work to recover.

justalayman

What actually happened and how did you recieve the concussion?

There is no compensation due for the injury. They are require to pay your medical bills and if you actually lose work time, at some point there is some partial reimbursement for that but you are due no cash payments for the injuries if that is what you are asking.

quincy

There is no compensation due for the injury. They are require to pay your medical bills and if you actually lose work time, at some point there is some partial reimbursement for that but you are due no cash payments for the injuries if that is what you are asking.
It could depend on if the injury resulted in a serious or permanent facial scarring.

It wouldn't hurt to have a personal injury attorney review the facts of the accident and injury.

PayrollHRGuy

Generally for scaring in an IL work comp case there would be no negotiation about a settlement for the scar until after 6 months.

In the mean time actual medical costs and lost wages.

quincy

Generally for scaring in an IL work comp case there would be no negotiation about a settlement for the scar until after 6 months.

In the mean time actual medical costs and lost wages.
While an accident may be scary, it would be scarring that could be covered. ;)

Excalibur350se

I was helping to set a motor and was standing next to an employee who at the time was using a big screwdriver to align a motor to bolt it up. The motor shifted and the screwdriver was forced out and struck me in the face. Causing me to have 8 stiches to the middle of my upper lip. This happen on a Monday I went back to work on Tuesday with restrictions to not work in the plant and stay out of the heat. On the way home after a 10 hour day I started to feel dizzy and I couldn’t focus on the road. The next day (Wednesday) I brought this up to my safety director and went back to the doctor and was diagnosed with a concussion which limited me to not use a computer, cell phone or read on top of my other restrictions. Thursday with only 12 hours sleep and a massive headache and throwing up I emailed the safety guy and asked to go home he said I would get a point and this would fall under the company policy of a missed work day. I then called the plant manager and told him what was going on. He said to go home and he wouldn’t give me a point. I then proceeded to the break room and get my lunch box and call my wife because I wasn’t allowed to drive home ( which is a 40 min drive ) That was interrupted by a supervisor who said I needed to go back to the plant manager. While talking to the plant manager he told me I need to not abuse the fact that he was allowing me to go home. There was an exchange of words and I ended up getting to leave. Now remember I went home due to the injury that I took on Monday. So on Monday the following week I called the women in charge of payroll and asked how many hours I was getting paid for on Thursday because I felt that I should get paid the whole day because I was trying to recover from the concussion. Of course I was called back up to the plant managers office because he wanted to know why I thought I needed payed. I told him because I went home because of the concussion ( headaches and vomiting and dizziness) that the company doctor diagnosed me with. He said I was released with restrictions that I could have set at the computer all day and did work and got paid. I chose to go home and there for I wasn’t getting paid.

quincy

The restrictions from your doctor did not specifically exclude you from doing computer work so you might need to get clarification from your doctor to appease your employer. I think you should be covered for any time off required for recovery from the accident.

justalayman

It could depend on if the injury resulted in a serious or permanent facial scarring.

It wouldn't hurt to have a personal injury attorney review the facts of the accident and injury.
Thanks for the correction.

c) For any serious and permanent disfigurement to the hand, head, face, neck, arm, leg below the knee or the chest above the axillary line, the employee is entitled to compensation for such disfigurement, the amount determined by agreement at any time or by arbitration under this Act, at a hearing not less than 6 months after the date of the accidental injury, which amount shall not exceed 150 weeks (if the accidental injury occurs on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 94th General Assembly but before February 1, 2006) or 162 weeks (if the accidental injury occurs on or after February 1, 2006) at the applicable rate provided in subparagraph 2.1 of paragraph (b) of this Section.
No compensation is payable under this paragraph where compensation is payable under paragraphs (d), (e) or (f) of this Section.
the last statement may play into the possibility of not receiving compensation for the scarring under section c. A complete review of the facts will need to be performed and that is where an attorney would be advisable.

justalayman

Quincy, before I put my foot in my mouth again,

Is there a period missed time must exceed prior to recieving pay for missing work? If so the time off when going home may not be compemsable.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whether compensable or not, the employer wouldn't be the one paying it if the employee wasn't working.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">