• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having A Felony In PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BB9415

Pennsylvania

My apologies if I have posted my question in the wrong forum, Just not really sure what my question falls under.
What I'm really looking for is some answers to what a person with a felony conviction wouldn't be able to legally able to do and if they do it could face a new criminal charge . For example; If you are convicted of a felony you cannot own a gun and be charged if you are found with one. Please correct me if I am wrong this is all very new to me and I will soon have a family member who has maxed out their sentence living with me, I just want to be informed of their limitations, before they were convicted we would hunt, now I'm not quite sure if I can involve them in that activity without putting his freedom at risk I also think it would be very helpful for them to have someone who understands the limitations a felon has. Again, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Thanks ahead for any answers I appreciate it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While there are general prohibitions applicable to everyone, there also may be specific prohibitions applicable to him. Why don't you ask him?

BB9415

While there are general prohibitions applicable to everyone, there also may be specific prohibitions applicable to him. Why don't you ask him?
I have unfortunately because of his past history of lying about his terms and conditions of County Probation and what he could do i have good reason to believe he may lie about what he can do with a felony just so he can be included (Which I understand he wants to be "normal" but I dont want his want to be normal to be something that may cause him to go back to prison ) I have hope that this last prison sentence has actually changed him but you never really know until he proves himself

Zigner

I have unfortunately because of his past history of lying about his terms and conditions of County Probation and what he could do i have good reason to believe he may lie about what he can do with a felony just so he can be included (Which I understand he wants to be "normal" but I dont want his want to be normal to be something that may cause him to go back to prison ) I have hope that this last prison sentence has actually changed him but you never really know until he proves himself
Why would you have this liar-felon living with you?

Edit: Why do you care what happens to this felon as a result of his lying to you?

BB9415

Why would you have this liar-felon living with you?
He's my father. He's also a alcoholic, when he's sober he does very well, but each time he has had some time sober he falls back into these patterns though he may not relapse right away he starts his "criminal thinking " which leads him back to drinking. It's difficult to explain, point is he is great sober and honest, but when he falls back in old patterns hes very sneaky and thats when the lying starts and hes a damn good liar when that happens

Zigner

Both of my questions remain unanswered, but your response does give rise to a question.

What sort of therapy (or other steps) have you taken to reduce your codependency and your enabling actions?

BB9415

He's my father. He's also a alcoholic, when he's sober he does very well, but each time he has had some time sober he falls back into these patterns though he may not relapse right away he starts his "criminal thinking " which leads him back to drinking. It's difficult to explain, point is he is great sober and honest, but when he falls back in old patterns hes very sneaky and thats when the lying starts and hes a damn good liar when that happens
I also have no choice, he is the actual owner of the home I live in, during one of his periods of sobriety he bought a couple houses. He has lost all of them but the one I currently live in, I guess I can't say I'm " renting" I do pay all the bills as of right now but this is legally his home, we do have a agreement set in place concerning the home, however thats a completely different situation

quincy

The list provided earlier should tell you what you can and can't do with your dad (what his restrictions now are).

BB9415

Both of my questions remain unanswered, but your response does give rise to a question.

What sort of therapy (or other steps) have you taken to reduce your codependency and your enabling actions?
If you must know, I am currently in a support group for families dealing with Addicts, what I am doing now is supporting my father, however I am aware of what I need to do if this becomes my father manipulating me. I also am aware of the steps I need to take to ensure I am not enabling him. I want to be informed, I need to be informed to prevent myself from being manipulated there is a plan set if he does fall back into his old patterns but my question is so I'm informed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">