• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Billed for Medical Service Even Though Was Never Near Office That Day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PriyaSingh

What is the name of your state? New York

My father is in mid-70s, and has limited functionality (let alone the ability to use computer), hence I am asking on his behalf.

My father had Dr appointment on Date A, and paid co-pay right then and there (because he doesn't like receiving bills in the mail).

Dr's billing office billed him co-pay amount for Date B, even thought he was no where near office that day.

First time we received bill, I called billing department and explained my Dad never went to Dr's office on Date B. The person assured me it will be straightened out by supervisor.

Last week we received 2nd bill for Date B that says payment is 30 days past due. I called billing department, spoke to same person and asked why was my Dad sent bill again even though he did not visit Dr on Date B. The person looked at his notes and read, "had long Dr visit on Date A".

I explained to the person that my Dad always pays all charges before leaving the Dr office and asked to speak to supervisor. I was told the supervisor is not there and call tomorrow.

The second letter from billing was very intimidating. What can we do? My Dad did not visit Dr on Date B, and on Date A, he paid full charges.

Thank you for any help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York

My father is in mid-70s, and has limited functionality (let alone the ability to use computer), hence I am asking on his behalf.

My father had Dr appointment on Date A, and paid co-pay right then and there (because he doesn't like receiving bills in the mail).

Dr's billing office billed him co-pay amount for Date B, even thought he was no where near office that day.

First time we received bill, I called billing department and explained my Dad never went to Dr's office on Date B. The person assured me it will be straightened out by supervisor.

Last week we received 2nd bill for Date B that says payment is 30 days past due. I called billing department, spoke to same person and asked why was my Dad sent bill again even though he did not visit Dr on Date B. The person looked at his notes and read, "had long Dr visit on Date A".

I explained to the person that my Dad always pays all charges before leaving the Dr office and asked to speak to supervisor. I was told the supervisor is not there and call tomorrow.

The second letter from billing was very intimidating. What can we do? My Dad did not visit Dr on Date B, and on Date A, he paid full charges.

Thank you for any help.
Next time you call, if the supervisor is not available leave a message for the doctor to call you back. Explain the problem to thee doctor.

adjusterjack

I suggest a personal visit to the doctor's office and ask to see the doctor's notes for Date B. Take your father with you or they won't talk to you about his file.

Next time you call, if the supervisor is not available leave a message for the doctor to call you back. Explain the problem to thee doctor.
Good luck with that. Doctors don't care about billing. They leave it their billing departments or, worse, separate billing companies.

LdiJ

I suggest a personal visit to the doctor's office and ask to see the doctor's notes for Date B. Take your father with you or they won't talk to you about his file.

Good luck with that. Doctors don't care about billing. They leave it their billing departments or, worse, separate billing companies.
Actually, I have found that if you hold their feet to the fire, they do actually get embarrassed by their billing department's practices and will intervene. I am not suggesting being rude or aggressive about it...I am simply saying insist on speaking to the doctor and very civilly pointing out when its wrong.

justalayman

Many doctors are little more than employees of the practice you receive services from. As such the doctors do not actually have the authority to do anything about the billing.

Is it possible dad missed an appointment scheduled for that day and they bill the copay on missed spppintments?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">