• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Gym

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RH70923

Fresno, California

If a home gym we’re set up at my house, what would my legal responsibilities be towards friends who used the equipment

Just Blue

Fresno, California

If a home gym we’re set up at my house, what would my legal responsibilities be towards friends who used the equipment
Are you saying this would just be a buddy coming over to work out with you? Or a business that they pay to utilize? Is this your house or a rental?

RH70923

Are you saying this would just be a buddy coming over to work out with you? Or a business that they pay to utilize? Is this your house or a rental?
It would be a couple of friends coming over to work out using my equipment, but they would also be using their own equipment, just at my house, since there is ample space to set up a gym here. It’s my house and they would not be paying me to use or house anything here.

quincy

Your homeowners liability insurance will cover most injuries suffered by your guests, up to the limits of your policy coverage.

RH70923

Your homeowners liability insurance will cover most injuries suffered by your guests, up to the limits of your policy coverage.
What if I had them sign a waiver? The worst case is that something were to happen and I’d have to use my home owner’s policy. That would spike my rates and I’d like to avoid that.

quincy

What if I had them sign a waiver? The worst case is that something were to happen and I’d have to use my home owner’s policy. That would spike my rates and I’d like to avoid that.
You could have your guests sign waivers, if you want to. A waiver will not prevent an injured guest from suing you but potentially could limit your liability.

LdiJ

Or, you could just get an umbrella liability policy (they are very inexpensive).

quincy

Trying to avoid injury to your guests should be the goal of all homeowners but you have insurance for a reason.

If not injured on gym equipment, your guests could trip over carpeting, slip on icy steps, fall down your stairs. You cannot waiver-away all accidents.

I would worry less about premium increases should you need to rely on your insurance for a claim filed against you and more on ensuring your premises are as safe as they reasonably can be.

Good luck.

HRZ

I think the mutual waiver makes some sense...in addition to homeowners insurance and an excess liability insurance policy .

AS "host" you are in line to get sued no matter what ...and I'd be nervous about different friends using each other's equipment absent mutual waivers . And if somebody brings in junky stuff...make sure it goes promptly out ...

quincy

Waivers in California could protect a homeowner from liability arising from ordinary negligence but will do nothing to protect a homeowner against gross negligence.

The waivers offer only limited protection, in other words, and do not prevent a lawsuit.

If sued by a guest for injuries, the homeowner would be smart to let his insurance company handle the claim.

ALawyer

Homeowners would also be wise to have, in addition to Homeowners insurance, an Umbrella liability policy for as high an amount as is available. Umbrella policies begin at the limit where one's homeowners coverage ends -- and they often contain provisions that are somewhat broader than the underlying homeowners coverage. Although it's a VERY rare a claim that will require use of the high level of coverage afforded by an Umbrella policy, one bad accident (such as one in which a person is paralyzed) for which the homeowners is found at fault (such as if the gym equipment was not properly set up, maintained or designed) could easily bankrupt the homeowner, and getting the guest to sign a "release" may not absolve one from liability.

quincy

I agree that increasing the liability coverage of his insurance policy would be smart for RH70923 if he intends to open up the use of his house as a gym for guests.

The increased coverage is recommended for any homeowner whose house presents an increased risk for guests (like hot tubs, pools or saunas do).

LdiJ

I agree that increasing the liability coverage of his insurance policy would be smart for RH70923 if he intends to open up the use of his house as a gym for guests.

The increased coverage is recommended for any homeowner whose house presents an increased risk for guests (like hot tubs, pools or saunas do).
Sometimes even children's playground equipment could be cause for additional liability.

quincy

There are all sorts of potential hazards.

In fact, there are SO many possible ways people can injure themselves, it is surprising that any homeowner would ever want to invite people onto their property or entertain others at their homes. ;)

That is why insurance exists.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">