• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My unit got water leak damaged from upper unit while they were doing remodeling, what should I do for relocation(temporary housing expense)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cathchen.us

Hi, I am a owner of a condo. The ceiling and the floor of my condo was damaged due to water leak. And the water leak was from an upper unit while they were doing remodeling construction. According to my concierge's explanation, the water leak was trigger during the remodeling but the real reason was an unknown item(probably a screwdriver or some sharp thing) which has been in the wall for a long time.
Although the management company of my building will repair my unit and pay for the dry out fee. They claim that I will have to pay for my own relocation during the construction. I am not professional of law but it feels weird that I have to pay for the unwanted relocation.
What's worse, I didn't have any homeowner insurance at the time of the incident.

I don't know what to do? Should I really buy their explanation and pay for my housing fee, or should I go knock my neighbor's door and ask them to compensate me?
What if they claim that it's an unforeseen incident which means they don't have the responsibility?

Appreciate any advice in advance!

adjusterjack

What if they claim that it's an unforeseen incident which means they don't have the responsibility?
What if they do? Can you PROVE (not just say) that somebody was negligent in causing your loss? That's what it's going to come down to when they say no and you decide that you want to go to court.

So far you haven't posted anything that convinces me that somebody was negligent (and I'm the insurance claims guy).

I don't know what to do? Should I really buy their explanation and pay for my housing fee, or should I go knock my neighbor's door and ask them to compensate me?
Entirely your choice but I doubt that the neighbor is going to pay you anything. In fact, if the neighbor was smart enough to have insurance, your claim will go right to his insurance company and his insurance company will defend him if appropriate.

What's worse, I didn't have any homeowner insurance at the time of the incident.
I'm sure you had a good reason for not buying something that would only cost you a few hundred a year and would have paid for your temporary lodging.

Oh well.

Just Blue

Hi, I am a owner of a condo. The ceiling and the floor of my condo was damaged due to water leak. And the water leak was from an upper unit while they were doing remodeling construction. According to my concierge's explanation, the water leak was trigger during the remodeling but the real reason was an unknown item(probably a screwdriver or some sharp thing) which has been in the wall for a long time.
Although the management company of my building will repair my unit and pay for the dry out fee. They claim that I will have to pay for my own relocation during the construction. I am not professional of law but it feels weird that I have to pay for the unwanted relocation.

Appreciate any advice in advance!
What state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">