• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bought a car that didnt pass inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? massachusetts
I bought a car from a private dealer on 7/24/18, he stated the car was great , NO PROBLEMS. So I go to get a sticker and my mechanic yelled at me to "bring it back, it junk! I wont touch it, it isn't passing!" so I called dealer at first didnt answer, then finally tell him, he asked me "well what do I do now"? I said , ill sign it back to you, you give my $ back, simle as that! He said to give him an hour he ducked me for 3 days. Then I told him im pissed off, I want my $ back, he froze for a day then texts me and told me to "GO TO HIS MECHANIC, BECAUSE THE "LIGHT ON" ISNT A BIG DEAL"! SO I go and his own guy said NOPE I CANT touch this. it has ALOT MORE issues than just the light, 5 codes came on! So since I haven't gotten any response even after I told him im going to court, so he cant sell the other 3 cars to some poor soul! Do I have recourse since he has been avoiding me, and refuses to take the car back?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How is this a lemon? If it was a used car then you bought it as is. You should have test drove and had it checked out PRIOR to buying it.

because it didnt pass inspection! BY MASS LAW , IF A CAR THAT ISNT AN "AS IS" CAR DOESNT PASS INSPECTION THE DEALER IS SUPPOSED TO REFUND YOU WITHIN 7 DAYS. It wasn't an "as is" , if it was I wouldn't be pissed, but he sold it to me saying the light was a tune up, and not a big deal. The car runs GREAT, looks unbelievable, BUT it WILL NOT PASS, I CANT GET A STICKER! So even if I drove it to the moon and back aslong as it doesn't pass in those 7 days , the dealer is liable. The issue turned to be camshaft and a few others. and that alone can cause the car to lose power while driving. I specifically told him if it doesn't pass, ill call him and we can switch back. But now he hasn't responded at all.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
because it didnt pass inspection! BY MASS LAW , IF A CAR THAT ISNT AN "AS IS" CAR DOESNT PASS INSPECTION THE DEALER IS SUPPOSED TO REFUND YOU WITHIN 7 DAYS. It wasn't an "as is" , if it was I wouldn't be pissed, but he sold it to me saying the light was a tune up, and not a big deal. The car runs GREAT, looks unbelievable, BUT it WILL NOT PASS, I CANT GET A STICKER! So even if I drove it to the moon and back aslong as it doesn't pass in those 7 days , the dealer is liable. The issue turned to be camshaft and a few others. and that alone can cause the car to lose power while driving. I specifically told him if it doesn't pass, ill call him and we can switch back. But now he hasn't responded at all.
How was it not an "AS IS" car? Did it have a warranty? Did you get a copy of the warranty in writing?

ALSO THE DEALER "HAS " TO POST IT "AS IS".. he posted it as if it was an impeccable car with no issues and said itll pass, he sent me to his mechanic hoping hed lie and give me a sticker, NOPE! his guy even said it was WRONG OF HIM he should've put as is, but didnt and said one item alone would be around 1300, so yes, he violated the lemon law, and he knows it that is why he refuses to answer now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The link I gave has contact information for the appropriate state agency. Best of luck to you.

Check out the link I posted. If the car fails inspection within 7 days of the purchase, he's entitled to a refund.
He said 6 months! "a great car, beautiful car"... yeah to look at and drive without sticker, it wont pass emissions test. so read lemon law thru and thru for Massachusetts. IT needs to be classified as an "AS IS" in order for me to have no recourse. He repeatedly said NO PROBLEMS, you bought a great car. Then when I said it wouldn't pass, he stated " the light isn't a big deal, bring it to my guy", I hadn't told him yet that it was for emissions failure, and yes EVERYTHING IS IN WRITING, that's why im PISSED THE FK OFF!
HE HAS 3 OTHER CARS THERE THAT HES SCAMMING OTHERS TOO. HES A SCAM ARTIST WHO IS GONNA PAY IN COURT.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">