• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eye surgury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Can anyone tell me if I have any kind of case as a opthamologist who did a procedure on my left eye and told me before the surgury that it would be better than my right eye but I just went to get my eyes checked for new glasses and the optomitrist told me my left eye would take at least 2 more years to get back to 20/40 vision. So what can I do?

justalayman

Did the opthomologist give you a timeframe where the right eye would be better than the left eye?

Have you spoken the the opthamologist to discuss what you perceive as a less than successful procedure?

It is difficult to even guess as to whether there is any malpractice as the info is very limited.

quincy

Can anyone tell me if I have any kind of case as a opthamologist who did a procedure on my left eye and told me before the surgury that it would be better than my right eye but I just went to get my eyes checked for new glasses and the optomitrist told me my left eye would take at least 2 more years to get back to 20/40 vision. So what can I do?
What is the name of your state?

What surgery was performed on your eye? To correct what?

Just Blue

Snowman please take your name out of your sig. line.

What is the name of your state? arizona

What surgery was performed on your eye? To correct what?
well my doctor told me I had fluid buildup under a film on my retina and it had to be removed but he did not give a timeframe as to how long it would take to heal. The only thing he did say is my left eye would be better than my right eye. The optomitrist that checked my eyes yesterday said it might take up to 2 years to get back to normal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI, an ophthalmologist is a medical doctor. An optometrist is not. I'm not altogether sure I'd take an optometrist's word over an ophthalmologist's. But the first thing you need to do it talk to the ophthalmologist and see how he perceives your healing. If it takes two years but at the end of the two years your left eye is better than the right, how is that a problem with what he told you? He didn't tell you it would happen overnight, did he?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
There are many reasons why yours eyesight might take time to recover - if ever.

There could be a genetic component. But I don't think they have a test for that yet.
There could be a pre-existing medical condition. For example, MS can cause such a post op problem.

If the surgery was deemed medically necessary, and the complications were not due to negligence on the surgeons part, then this is *not* malpractice.

Based on what you have posted you have no case.

quincy

well my doctor told me I had fluid buildup under a film on my retina and it had to be removed but he did not give a timeframe as to how long it would take to heal. The only thing he did say is my left eye would be better than my right eye. The optomitrist that checked my eyes yesterday said it might take up to 2 years to get back to normal.
You should make an appointment to talk to your ophthalmologist to discuss your surgery and get a better understanding of what you can expect recovery-wise and time-wise.

I do not see in what you have said so far that there is any legal action to pursue.

You should make an appointment to talk to your ophthalmologist to discuss your surgery and get a better understanding of what you can expect recovery-wise and time-wise.

I do not see in what you have said so far that there is any legal action to pursue.
Ok here is something else I found out. The last time I saw my doctor he asked me if I had any high blood pressure as that would explain the burst blood vessel in my eye and caused me the problem I have. I told him I did not have high blood pressure ever but he did also mention shingles and I did have that a few months ago and he said that probably caused the burst blood vessel.

quincy

Ok here is something else I found out. The last time I saw my doctor he asked me if I had any high blood pressure as that would explain the burst blood vessel in my eye and caused me the problem I have. I told him I did not have high blood pressure ever but he did also mention shingles and I did have that a few months ago and he said that probably caused the burst blood vessel.
Interesting. I was not aware of that complication although I know shingles can be nasty and painful.

Good luck in your recovery.

Interesting. I was not aware of that complication although I know shingles can be nasty and painful.

Good luck in your recovery.
But this condition put me out of a job because I have a cdl and since my left eye is only 20/50 I couldn't possibly pass a physical.

quincy

But this condition put me out of a job because I have a cdl and since my left eye is only 20/50 I couldn't possibly pass a physical.
I am sorry to hear that.

Have you spoken to your ophthalmologist yet, to get an idea of when your vision will improve?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">