• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my fate really in the law's hands?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

To be clear...I am not being elitist. I just hate that it now seems barely literate people are not encouraged, in any way, to better themselves. That non-words are now accepted in common conversation and making it's way into Webster. My pet peeve. :(

End soapbox :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
To be clear...I am not being elitist. I just hate that it now seems barely literate people are not encouraged, in any way, to better themselves. That non-words are now accepted in common conversation and making it's way into Webster. My pet peeve. :(

Says the one who speaks Massachusetts.

Whoops2u

You have to change for the people you are communicating with or you are not being an effective communicator.

I once had a (young[ish]) worker come in to me an ask why I was so angry about a task I asked clarification on regarding a job I had him do. I asked him over text. Since I had no anger at all, I was confused and asked why he felt that way. He showed me the text and said look at it. I did and found nothing more then a couple of sentences on checking up on a tenant's request.

The problem? I used punctuation and spelled out the words rather than using LOL and the like.

By using periods and commas, it appeared to that particular reader, that I was being overly formal for a text. He felt as though I was like a person who was carefully choosing each word in order to maintain my temper.

When modern society should require more work on top-of-the-head decoration on people as that is all we see as they look down and smile at their phones all waking day, we should recognize what proper communication is--communicating. If we want to communicate with the phone lookers, we have to accept they do it differently from us.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But doesn't that go both ways? Shouldn't the phone lookers also have to accept that not everyone does things their way?

PayrollHRGuy

You have to change for the people you are communicating with or you are not being an effective communicator.

I once had a (young[ish]) worker come in to me an ask why I was so angry about a task I asked clarification on regarding a job I had him do. I asked him over text. Since I had no anger at all, I was confused and asked why he felt that way. He showed me the text and said look at it. I did and found nothing more then a couple of sentences on checking up on a tenant's request.

The problem? I used punctuation and spelled out the words rather than using LOL and the like.

By using periods and commas, it appeared to that particular reader, that I was being overly formal for a text. He felt as though I was like a person who was carefully choosing each word in order to maintain my temper.

When modern society should require more work on top-of-the-head decoration on people as that is all we see as they look down and smile at their phones all waking day, we should recognize what proper communication is--communicating. If we want to communicate with the phone lookers, we have to accept they do it differently from us.
I really hope that the above is mostly sarcasm?

Just Blue

Fair enough.

Whoops2u

But doesn't that go both ways? Shouldn't the phone lookers also have to accept that not everyone does things their way?
Of course it goes both ways. For instance, some might think a young person who doesn't use punctuation or spell out words completely and correctly in a text is barely literate when, in reality, it is just the style of the times. It is on the one(s) who want to communicate to determine hidden or patent bias that causes miscommunication. Otherwise, they're not really communicating.

I really hope that the above is mostly sarcasm?
While I never really outgrew my adolescence and am sarcastic to the bone, there was none in my post.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is on the one(s) who want to communicate to determine hidden or patent bias that causes miscommunication. Otherwise, they're not really communicating.
Are you saying that the folks who don't know how to use proper punctuation, etc., have no desire to communicate? ;)

Whoops2u

Are you saying that the folks who don't know how to use proper punctuation, etc., have no desire to communicate? ;)
We have not established they "don't know" but that they don't use. If they have no desire to know how their message is being perceived, then they have no real desire to communicate. They just want to hear themselves.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The one who wishes to communicate is, IMO, the one who needs to do the adaptation. A poster who wishes volunteers to answer his questions for free, for example, should make their question clear. The volunteers should not need to be hunting through text speak and other abbreviations with no punctuation to discern what the poster wants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">