• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School bus hit my father while he was drving electric sccoter.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1qaz9106

This case started in Oct 2013. He was driving an electric sccoter on the road. A school bus hit him from the back , the sccoter was destroyed, he was pushed out by the force,

He had a surgery for his lower back in 2014. Then went to see attorney from the insurance company on 2017. Now it is the fifth year still waiting for case to be updated.

I think it is taking too long to settle this case. Can anyone let me know if it is normal to take this long? And How much longer we need to wait?

Thanks for your help.

Just Blue

This case started in Oct 2013. He was driving an electric sccoter on the road. A school bus hit him from the back , the sccoter was destroyed, he was pushed out by the force,

He had a surgery for his lower back in 2014. Then went to see attorney from the insurance company on 2017. Now it is the fifth year still waiting for case to be updated.

I think it is taking too long to settle this case. Can anyone let me know if it is normal to take this long? And How much longer we need to wait?

Thanks for your help.
Your Father should discuss this with his attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US state did this occur in?
Was the bus operated by the school district or a private entity?

HRZ

HIs state is?

Was his electric scooter legal for use on a public road and was he properly licensed to operate it if a license was required.

1qaz9106

HIs state is?

Was his electric scooter legal for use on a public road and was he properly licensed to operate it if a license was required.
It is in NY. electric scooter is still allowed until these days I assume it is legal. no license is required to ride it.
The problem is in my point of view the insurance company is dragging to NOT pay for this accident.

justalayman

NY, actually filed on June 2014. After the surgery, he was demand by attorney to go for physical therapy and body massage.
Ok so the statute of limitations is not an issue.

Unless there is some concern there may be another surgery or something could change, yes, it does appear to be a long time

The insurance company has the ability to drag things out only as long as the plaintiff allows it. If there are ongoing and productive negotiations occurring it may be worth waiting. If things have stalled, it sounds like your father’s attorney is the one dragging his feet. If the attorney doesn’t act to get this issue into court and in front of a judge, the insurance company is probably quite content sitting back and waiting.

Your father should contact his attorney and ask for a status update and where this may be going

justalayman

My father and his attorney and insurance carrier's attorney met at an office asked lots of questions regarding this accident.
That was likely a deposition. If so it would mean the case is progressing. From that point there are often negotiations if both parties believe they may be able to come to an agreement. If no negotiations are reasonable it will likely be scheduled to be heard in court.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It is in NY. electric scooter is still allowed until these days...
I don't know what that means exactly, but it is NOT legal to operate such a vehicle on any public roadway in the state. Your father should not have been riding that thing except on private property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">