• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giveaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California.

Can I do a giveaway for my buisiness stating.

“All orders placed between a certain time will be automatically entered to win a $250 gift card to our website?”

If not, how can I make this legal? By allowing everyone a chance to enter?

If I already started the giveaway without info on how to be entered without a purchase, what should I do?

Thank you

Whoops2u

Sweepstakes are a difficult area to navigate if anyone cares to complain. Off the bat, I'd say you have an illegal lottery as the entire method of choosing a winner is by chance (Rather than having a skill component.) and that only those who order are eligible. (Rather than anyone. It gets to "consideration" for the contest.) I don't know how to unring that bell if the district attorney comes calling.

Look up California and sweepstakes or lottery statute for a lot of the laws on the books. Go a bit deeper and find some attorney's pages that try to make state and federal law easier. You might add internet in the search string to see how little it takes for some effort on the part of a potential game player to make a lottery illegal.

adjusterjack

“All orders placed between a certain time will be automatically entered to win a $250 gift card to our website?”

If not, how can I make this legal? By allowing everyone a chance to enter?
From what I have read in the past your illegal if you make the entry conditional on a purchase.

If I already started the giveaway without info on how to be entered without a purchase, what should I do?
Stop doing it and hope nobody squawks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">