• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage/Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jjhenedy

CA.
I have a friend who has a tough situation. She has been married for 20yrs this man would physically abuse and mentally the first years of their marriage. Now it’s more emotional/ verbal. But he is an angry man that does not love her but just doesn’t want to give her divorce and says he will make her life miserable by taking away their child who he never takes care of. But he makes the money. She is scared and miserable. Advice?

LdiJ

CA.
I have a friend who has a tough situation. She has been married for 20yrs this man would physically abuse and mentally the first years of their marriage. Now it’s more emotional/ verbal. But he is an angry man that does not love her but just doesn’t want to give her divorce and says he will make her life miserable by taking away their child who he never takes care of. But he makes the money. She is scared and miserable. Advice?
She needs to pull herself together, get a job, and divorce him. She does NOT need his agreement to get a divorce. If they have been married for 20 years how old is their child?

Just Blue

CA.
I would advise her to join and ask her own questions. With her own user name of course.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
For you? None.

For her, she needs to make a decision about what she wants to do. If she decides on divorce, she should sit down with a local divorce attorney and discuss her situation to find out exactly what she is entitled to and what she might be up against. If anyone comes here asking questions it should be her. All the information you have is second-hand and may be wrong.

HRZ

She may be far less miserable with a divorce, a solid amount of alimony, a split of community property inc pension plus child support and some sort of visitation rights to Dad which he may not even bother to use ....she needs to grow a spine and go review her options with seasoned divorce lawyer in her county , pay him or her for review .

And she might need to refresh her career training and get a job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
he will make her life miserable by taking away their child who he never takes care of.

The fact that he says this will happen is in no way proof that it will happen. But this is one of the things abusers do; they convince their victim that they have no power, that the abuser has it all and that everything the abuser says will happen just because he wills it. She should not take his word for the fact that the judge will give him custody just because he says so. Or even just because he has the money. It doesn't work that way.

How old is the child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">