• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying for a Driver's License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

But he can't do that. Well, he can, but he'd be caught instantly. The whole point of the NDR is specifically to stave off such shenanigans. One license, One Record. This was enacted back in 1985 because it was a serious problem with people doing this, especially over the road truckers. They'd have a whole wallet full of licenses from other states that they had maintained in parallel.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Lots of people own guns, but if they show just once that they can't be trusted with one they are all confiscated, and they can't buy or own one in the future.
Why is it not the same for a 3000 pound missile?
Because the primary purpose of a car is transportation whereas the primary purpose of a gun is to kill things. Two very different objects, used very differently, and thus regulated differently.

Because the primary purpose of a car is transportation whereas the primary purpose of a gun is to kill things. Two very different objects, used very differently, and thus regulated differently.
I'm talking about it being used negligently.
If you use a gun negligently they take it away, if you keep getting drunk and then get caught driving drunk they keep returning the car.
Something wrong with this.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I'm talking about it being used negligently.
If you use a gun negligently they take it away
They do not take away guns in any state I'm familiar with just because you were negligent with using one. You lose your guns if you commit certain crimes with them.

if you keep getting drunk and then get caught driving drunk they keep returning the car.
Something wrong with this.
Then lobby your state legislature to change that. But again, cars and guns are very different objects, used very differently, and thus regulated very differently. Logically you are comparing apples and typewriters. :D

kensmith

Hello everyone. I have 3 DUI in the state of NJ. I have served a 10 year license suspension & am eligible to get my license back. I now live in South Carolina. I will have to apply for a SC license & take all tests over since I lost my DL for so long. When I went into SC DMV they asked me for my old NJ DL or my NJ DL driving record in order to complete my DL application. Which I would have to send for. Here's my question:

Can I go into SC DMV & tell them that I have never had a DL before & just go through the same process of doing all the tests over to get my license. By doing so can I prevent my NJ driving record from following me onto my new SC DL since I am not giving them my driving records? This we be very beneficial to acquiring jobs & such if I could hide past mistakes. BTW I am 9 years sober. Secondly if I tried this would they see NJ pop up as soon as I tell them I never had a DL before at SC DMV? Thirdly what is the penalty if I do this?

quincy

kensmith, could you please start your own thread. This thread belongs to another poster.

Thanks.

They do not take away guns in any state I'm familiar with just because you were negligent with using one. You lose your guns if you commit certain crimes with them.

Then lobby your state legislature to change that. But again, cars and guns are very different objects, used very differently, and thus regulated very differently. Logically you are comparing apples and typewriters.:D
I'm sure the forum administrators will end this thread soon because we have sidetracked the OP question, but always wanting to have the last word I'll ask a question that I could never get an answer to.
If DUI is such a problem countrywide, why do most bars have parking lots?

quincy

I'm sure the forum administrators will end this thread soon because we have sidetracked the OP question, but always wanting to have the last word I'll ask a question that I could never get an answer to.
If DUI is such a problem countrywide, why do most bars have parking lots?
Perhaps most people don't drink to the point of intoxication or they have a designated driver.

quincy

If only that were true, but considering that in 2017 there were 10,497 fatalities from drunk driving in the US I have my doubts.
Not all drunk drivers are drunk because they were drinking at a bar. Not all who drink at a bar get drunk. Not all who go to bars drink alcohol.

I don't like drunk drivers, by the way. ;) I like the idea of required installation of interlock systems in the cars of all drivers convicted of a drunk or impaired driving offense, even first offenders. I don't like the idea of taking away their cars.

PayrollHRGuy

Not all drunk drivers are drunk because they were drinking at a bar. Not all who drink at a bar get drunk. Not all who go to bars drink alcohol.

I don't like drunk drivers, by the way. ;) I like the idea of required installation of interlock systems in the cars of all drivers convicted of a drunk or impaired driving offense, even first offenders. I don't like the idea of taking away their cars.
What about taking them away from 2nd or 3rd time offenders?

quincy

What about taking them away from 2nd or 3rd time offenders?
Under some circumstances, the licenses would be revoked. A revoked license and a car with an interlock system should prevent most drivers convicted of drunk driving from driving their car.

PayrollHRGuy

Under some circumstances, the licenses would be revoked. A revoked license and a car with an interlock system should prevent most drivers convicted of drunk driving from driving their car.
I was actually asking if you "like the idea" of the revocation after multiple offenses.

A quick search on the internet will give detailed instructions on how to circumnavigate or disable the ignition interlock.
It goes back to my earlier posting that if you can't be trusted with a deadly weapon (a vehicle) why do the powers that be keep giving the weapon back so that it can be used again by the same irresponsible person?

quincy

I was actually asking if you "like the idea" of the revocation after multiple offenses.
Yes. I like the idea of revoking the licenses of drunk drivers after they have been convicted of multiple drunk driving offenses - although drunk drivers often continue to drive drunk on suspended or revoked licenses.
... if you can't be trusted with a deadly weapon (a vehicle) why do the powers that be keep giving the weapon back so that it can be used again by the same irresponsible person?
Because the laws don't allow for the seizure of vehicles, perhaps?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">