• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ANY RIGHTS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elona Moore

I WAS AWARED THE HOUSE IN MY DIVORCE SETTLEMENT I HAD 90 DAYS TO REFIANCE OR IT WENT BACK TO MY X HUSBAND HE HAS SINCE PASSED AWAY THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL THE HOME BUT THEY CANT WITHOUT ME SIGHNING OVER THE DEED THAT WAS NEVER DONE DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS?

LdiJ

I WAS AWARED THE HOUSE IN MY DIVORCE SETTLEMENT I HAD 90 DAYS TO REFIANCE OR IT WENT BACK TO MY X HUSBAND HE HAS SINCE PASSED AWAY THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL THE HOME BUT THEY CANT WITHOUT ME SIGHNING OVER THE DEED THAT WAS NEVER DONE DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS?
Who was the "they" who want to sell the house? How was the house deeded to start with? Was it joint tenants with right of survivorship?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
When you answer the above questions, please turn off your ALL CAPS. Not only is it hard to read, but it is considered to be shouting.

adjusterjack

You have a right to have an attorney read your divorce decree and advise you of your options. Nobody here can do that without reading the decree.

HRZ

You really need an attorney in your state to advise your status/options after reading BOTH the divorce order and the deed /title .

IT is entirely possible that you are left owning it....then again it is possible his estate owns it ....and you would be darn foolish to assume answers absent counsel in your corner.

justalayman

If it has been more than 90 days the divorce order mandates the property be relinquished to the husband. It doesn’t matter if it was jtwros. The order had the property be transferred to the ex husband and the administrator of the estate can seek to have the order enforced.

If it has been less than 90 days the op has until 90 days expires to either refivnance the propriety or relinquish it to the ex’s estate.

The death really doesn’t change anything unless there was some tit for tat exchange if op was required to relinquish the property and that hasn’t been and can’t be fulfilled now.

LdiJ

Take your divorce paperwork and get a consult with a local attorney if the house has enough equity for it to matter. If the house does not have any real equity, then you might just want to let it go.

Who was the "they" who want to sell the house? How was the house deeded to start with? If the house does not have any real equity, then you might just want to let it go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">