• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are vehicular barriers in my yard legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Corey8084

What is the name of your state? Indiana, Clinton County

I bought my house in June of last year and didn't consider the fact that the house is on an intersection. Well, turns out 18-wheelers frequent that intersection, turning along my house. What I've noticed is that many of them don't care enough to make the turn proper and instead have their trailer cut into my lawn. This results in them cutting really deep ruts into my yard and running right over the ditch pipe leading underneath the road. This being my first home I'm not too sure of who would have to pay for any damages done to that ditch pipe, but just to the right of where they are crossing is also an utility box.

If I put a clearly visible barrier near the edge of my lawn and an 18-wheeler encroaches on my property and damages their trailer on the barrier, will I be liable? They haven't damaged anything other than my lawn (yet) but I figure it's better to be proactive.

To add, the trucks are very much capable of making the turn wide enough to not do this, so I reckon it's only those that don't care about my property that do it. Ultimately, I'm looking for a solution to the problem. It doesn't have to be barriers, it can be anything, just barriers were my first thought.

I thank you all for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Corey8084

I'm wondering more from the perspective of what to say. Like, do I just walk up and say "Hey, 18-wheelers are rutting up my yard, can you guys put some barriers up there to prevent that?" or is there a more tactful approach that may lead to a more favorable outcome?

Corey8084

I guess renting a drone is in my near future then. I will do as the two of you have suggested. Thank you so much for the help!

Corey8084

just checked, can't zoom in close enough to see any details on the ground. It's also a rather old photo, from before I bought the house.

adjusterjack

I guess renting a drone is in my near future then. I will do as the two of you have suggested. Thank you so much for the help!
I suggest you not involve yourself with the bureaucracy.

Instead, a few strategically placed very large boulders (2 or 3 feet in diameter) to enhance your landscaping should do the trick.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggest you not involve yourself with the bureaucracy.

Instead, a few strategically placed very large boulders (2 or 3 feet in diameter) to enhance your landscaping should do the trick.
So, when he's sued, and needs to defend himself whatever the outcome, that's better than having the municipality install protection for his yard that won't cause him to be sued?

Corey8084

The images should show the intersection, not necessarily damage caused.
Aw, I'm tracking. I misunderstood.

Adjusterjack, while I am not a fan of getting government involved, if it will save me headache and money later, I'll do what I have to. I cam here to ask about doing something like that because I've heard horror stories of people suing home owners because they hit the owner's mailbox and damaged their car. Stuff like that makes me hesitate to implement your suggestion.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
So, when he's sued, and needs to defend himself whatever the outcome, that's better than having the municipality install protection for his yard that won't cause him to be sued?
Zig, under what basis would someone sue a homeowner for having landscaping boulders on the homeowner's property? If someone drives their car in my yard and hits my tree I wouldn't expect to be sued -- am I missing something?

HRZ

I had some issues of vehicles cutting the corner and damaging my property ...so I went down and had a very polite chat with folks in zoning w pictures ...they of course ducked giving legal advice but noted that "barriers " were problematic especially if they were in the right of way....which might actually be far wider pavement ( my damage was beyond ROW ). But they noted that code did not restrict large (cement) planters or low fences which did not restrict line of sight on corners ...3' as I recall. Very few folks tangled with my very hefty cement planters ...and worst case a quick trip to big box store would get me some evergreens I could keep trimmed to about 3' .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">