• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoiding a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ender2664

CA
I went to a vet and I believe they did not preform services they said they did so I blocked the charges on my credit card but they won in small claims $4,000. I do not want to pay them on principle alone, but what happens if I dont?
My only wages are a private disability company and social security disability.
My only asset is my car I'm underwater in.
I live in my parents house
I have credit cards
I have an empty bank account

Can they make the credit card company pay them?

Back story so u know I'm not slime:
What principle? I agree that making them take you to court is principle-based, but You were found by a court of law to be liable for the debt. YOU are now the one who is not operating according to principle.

EDIT: If you are not satisfied with the judgment and feel that it should be reheard, you are entitled to appeal it. See https://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/judgment.shtml for more information. Please be aware that if you have no actual basis to appeal and are just doing it because you don't like the original outcome and/or are just trying to harass or delay, then you can be subject to monetary penalties.
My dog went in in a coma. They got her out of the coma but when I got her back she had a serious foot infection and they released her off her meds causing seizures.
I brought her back in, they admitted fault verbally but continued to charge me for treatment on her foot and getting her back on meds.

Principals:
People shouldn't get away with doing this.

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
CA
I went to a vet and I believe they did not preform services they said they did so I blocked the charges on my credit card but they won in small claims $4,000. I do not want to pay them on principle alone, but what happens if I dont?
I have credit cards

It's not the credit card's responsibility to pay YOUR debt. Since they have a judgment against you, know that it will follow you for years. And even though SSDI is exempt from garnishment, your private disability may not be.

quincy

California
I went to a vet and I believe they did not preform services they said they did so I blocked the charges on my credit card but the won in small claims $4,000. I do not want to pay them, what happens if I dont?
My only assets are my car I'm underwater in.
I have credit cards

You could have income and/or assets at some point in time and the judgment against you will be satisfied by garnishing these wages and/or attaching your assets.

Judgments are renewable so you cannot hope to wait it out. The judgment can affect your ability to get credit or loans in the future and, if you are looking to rent or buy a place to live, it can make this more difficult or impossible.

It would have been far better for you to have discussed the veterinarian bill with your veterinarian prior to canceling payment. It would have been then that you perhaps could have negotiated a lower amount or a payment plan to suit your budget.

And you could have argued the charges in court.

Those options are all but closed off to you now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I do not want to pay them on principle alone...
What principle? I agree that making them take you to court is principle-based, but You were found by a court of law to be liable for the debt. YOU are now the one who is not operating according to principle.

EDIT: If you are not satisfied with the judgment and feel that it should be reheard, you are entitled to appeal it. See https://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/judgment.shtml for more information. Please be aware that if you have no actual basis to appeal and are just doing it because you don't like the original outcome and/or are just trying to harass or delay, then you can be subject to monetary penalties.

PayrollHRGuy

I believe California does allow garnishment of Private Disability. There are federal and maybe state limitations on the amount they may deduct fro each check.

I'm going off of memory on that. I'd normally look up the actual law but I'm not going to, on principle.

ender2664

You could have income and/or assets at some point in time and the judgment against you will be satisfied by garnishing these wages and/or attaching your assets.

Judgments are renewable so you cannot hope to wait it out. The judgment can affect your ability to get credit or loans in the future and, if you are looking to rent or buy a place to live, it can make this more difficult or impossible.

It would have been far better for you to have discussed the veterinarian bill with your veterinarian prior to canceling payment. It would have been then that you perhaps could have negotiated a lower amount or a payment plan to suit your budget.

And you could have argued the charges in court.

Those options are all but closed off to you now.
I did speak with them.
I went all the way up the claim and got no resolution

ender2664

My dog went in in a coma. They got her out of the coma but when I got her back she had a serious foot infection and they released her off her meds causing seizures.
I brought her back in, they admitted fault verbally but continued to charge me for treatment on her foot and getting her back on meds.

Principals:

ender2664

Principals:

Jonathan6300

CA
I have credit cards

Back story so u know I'm not slime:

Principals:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Principals:
Repeating the same post several times isn't useful.

The word is principle. You lost in court, because the vet performed the "services" you were billed for. I admit that I do not know how veterinary malpractice is treated by the law, but since you didn't explore that at the time, you are stuck.

Did you know that if you go to the hospital and die, they still bill your insurance and/or estate for services? In fact, they will have no problem billing for a medivac, and if you expire on the way the insurance may try to deny the claim, as a medivac is "medically unnecessary" after you have bleed out midway en route.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">