• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic work on car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bedmonds

What is the name of your state? CA.
I paid for a new radiator and it was supposed to be fixed. The other night my car overheated. I pulled over and this man helped me with my car. When we finally got the radiator cap off, it started spitting and spewing rust. My radiator had rust and sawdust in it. Mechanics use sawdust to plug holes. Come to find out, I now have a cracked head due to the overheating. I was also told by 2 people that my radiator is not new. The mechanic that supposedly fixed my car refused to give me a receipt that I constantly asked for. Now he lives in Texas. Is there anything I can do to him for ripping me off and ruining my car or is it his word against mine?

quincy

What is the name of your state? CA.
I paid for a new radiator and it was supposed to be fixed. The other night my car overheated. I pulled over and this man helped me with my car. When we finally got the radiator cap off, it started spitting and spewing rust. My radiator had rust and sawdust in it. Mechanics use sawdust to plug holes. Come to find out, I now have a cracked head due to the overheating. I was also told by 2 people that my radiator is not new. The mechanic that supposedly fixed my car refused to give me a receipt that I constantly asked for. Now he lives in Texas. Is there anything I can do to him for ripping me off and ruining my car or is it his word against mine?
It might be difficult to sue if you have no receipt and the mechanic no longer lives in your state.

One thread is all that is necessary on this forum. Your duplicate thread was removed.

Last edited:
Was the work done at a garage or by someone working out of their house? Commonly refered to as a 'shade tree mechanic'

Just Blue

Really, I did not know that. You MA people are weird. :devilish:
Yeah...I know. When I was a kid visiting PEI I walked into a little country store and asked where they kept the tonic...The guy said I would have to go to a pharmacy for it as they don't sell tonic. I was confused and said "You don't sell coke?" He said yes. They sold pop. But not tonic. I got my "pop" and left the store...My mother explained they confusion of term to me later.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's funny how things happen. Before yesterday, I never knew about "tonic" being used to refer to soda/pop/etc. Yesterday, I was reading (listening, actually) to a book by a Vietnam War veteran. He mentioned in the book that his mom sent his care packages that included cans of tonic. He is from Boston.

PayrollHRGuy

For the record we call the Coke. Doesn't matter if it is Pepsi, 7-up, Sprite. The generic is Coke. As in, "Bob, you want a coke?" A proper reply would be "Sure, I'll have a Dr. Pepper."

Just Blue

For the record we call the Coke. Doesn't matter if it is Pepsi, 7-up, Sprite. The generic is Coke. As in, "Bob, you want a coke?" A proper reply would be "Sure, I'll have a Dr. Pepper."
Yeah...We do that in MA too...although I have said it in decades. I would ask for an orange coke when lacing my order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">