• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I had a court date, and teacher is failing me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alyon

hello. I have a straightforward question. I had a court date last Wednesday, and I told my teacher 2 weeks in advance that I will be in class till 1pm, and then I’ll leave for my court. She said okay. Then on the day of the court, I reminded her again in the morning, and she said okay, and I left at 1pm. She decided to take 50% points off for that day. Which made my overall grade drop significantly. On Monday that same week my bf got into a car accident and was rushed into the emergency room. I got a phone call and had to leave to go see him. She said she will take points off for that day. 1) can she legally fail me because I had a court date? It was mandatory, otherwise I’ll be on probation.
2) can she fail me if my family has such an emergency?
3) I came to class today a bit late, and she decided to kick me out, and I told her I won’t leave as I care about this course, and she threatened me with calling the security.

Please tell me there is some kind of law to help me out. I had 90% on this course, and now I have 70%. I feel like it’s becoming personal.

PayrollHRGuy

1) No but she can fail you because your grades are too low and there are no laws controlling how a teacher grades.
2) See #1.
3) Not a question there but she is likely free to set the rules of her classroom.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
hello. I have a straightforward question. I had a court date last Wednesday, and I told my teacher 2 weeks in advance that I will be in class till 1pm, and then I’ll leave for my court. She said okay. Then on the day of the court, I reminded her again in the morning, and she said okay, and I left at 1pm. She decided to take 50% points off for that day. Which made my overall grade drop significantly. On Monday that same week my bf got into a car accident and was rushed into the emergency room. I got a phone call and had to leave to go see him. She said she will take points off for that day. 1) can she legally fail me because I had a court date? It was mandatory, otherwise I’ll be on probation.
2) can she fail me if my family has such an emergency?
3) I came to class today a bit late, and she decided to kick me out, and I told her I won’t leave as I care about this course, and she threatened me with calling the security.

Please tell me there is some kind of law to help me out. I had 90% on this course, and now I have 70%. I feel like it’s becoming personal.
What US state is this in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">