• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unions membership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aaron35

If someone is released from one company does the union blacklist them from other companies they have CBAs with?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
That depends on the particular union, though most certainly would not do that. Unions exist to help their members get jobs — and keep them — rather than preventing their members from getting work. If some union does blacklist members, whether that might violate any law largely depends on the applicable state law, which is one reason quincy asked the question about your state.

quincy

Is there a federal law that supersedes the state one under Nlra
Are you asking if there is a federal law that would make blacklisting legal in Oregon?

What situation do you find yourself in that leads to your questions?

Are you curious about the current status under the Trump administration of what has been called the "blacklisting rule?"

quincy

I just want to know if someone can get on a union blacklist for late dues payment.
Unless someone is violating the law in Oregon, there should be no blacklisting.

Are you a public employee?

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I just want to know if someone can get on a union blacklist for late dues payment.
The union should not be going around to employers telling them not hire you, as that might violate the Oregon blacklisting law. (It's unclear to me given the wording of the law how it might apply to a union.) There is no federal law that expressly prohibits blacklisting of employees.

However, while the union shouldn't go around telling employers not to hire you, if you are behind on your union dues the union could refuse to help you get a job, leaving you to find jobs on your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">